Save the Tank No Save The Tank
- chopper1963
-
Topic Author
- Offline
- User
-

Registered
- Posts: 424
- Thanks: 94
Save the Tank No Save The Tank
Yesterday 09:25 - Yesterday 09:25
The fuel tank off the parts 1982 GPz750 I just scrapped is largely straight and dent free. The inside is rusty.
I'm considering getting the tank professionally treated at a local gas tank renu place where they guarantee their treatment and coating not to leak or release for 10 years.
I can't find a decent tank that has sold on eBay in the USA to gauge value.
If I treat the tank and then have it repainted OE color with the stripes I will have a complete set of 1982 GPz750 body. Fairing, tank, fender, covers, tail. All nice. What would be the value of this package? Thoughts welcome.
I just now remembered the bike also came with a race (center collector) Kerker head pipe. I need to get that bead blasted and painted soon.
Gas tank renu web site
I'm considering getting the tank professionally treated at a local gas tank renu place where they guarantee their treatment and coating not to leak or release for 10 years.
I can't find a decent tank that has sold on eBay in the USA to gauge value.
If I treat the tank and then have it repainted OE color with the stripes I will have a complete set of 1982 GPz750 body. Fairing, tank, fender, covers, tail. All nice. What would be the value of this package? Thoughts welcome.
I just now remembered the bike also came with a race (center collector) Kerker head pipe. I need to get that bead blasted and painted soon.
Gas tank renu web site
Last edit: Yesterday 09:25 by chopper1963. Reason: Old
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- rickysnicker
-
- Offline
- User
-

Registered
- Posts: 88
- Thanks: 26
Re: Save the Tank No Save The Tank
Yesterday 11:55
I asked a question of this group regarding my tank. It had a little rust in it, but not much. I was essentially told that unless it leaks, don't use a sealer in it. I was advised to just clean the rust out, which I did, and then use the tank. I'm glad Iistened the advice. I saved time and money. If the inside of your tank isn't that bad, you might want to clean it out yourself.
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- Nessism
-
- Offline
- Sustaining Member
-

Registered
- Posts: 8197
- Thanks: 3570
Re: Save the Tank No Save The Tank
Yesterday 12:48
Agree. Derust yourself. Be sure to remove the petcock, sending unit, and any other sensors inside the tank. Fabricate plugs to prevent leakage, but allow the tank to vent while derusting, or at least, release any pressure that may build up.
This seems like good stuff. More mild than many other derusting methods, and cheap.
1 liter of water
100 grams of citric acid (available on Amazon)
One of the following: 40 grams sodium carbonate (washing soda), or 63 grams sodium bicarbonate (baking soda), or 30 grams sodium hydroxide (lye)
Scale volume of solution as needed.
This stuff derusts better than Evaporust, while being safe and mild with the base material. It lasts much longer than Evaporust also.
Never use harsh chemicals like hydrochloric/muriatic acid to derust. Yes, that stuff is fast, but it's crazy harsh and should be avoided.
This seems like good stuff. More mild than many other derusting methods, and cheap.
1 liter of water
100 grams of citric acid (available on Amazon)
One of the following: 40 grams sodium carbonate (washing soda), or 63 grams sodium bicarbonate (baking soda), or 30 grams sodium hydroxide (lye)
Scale volume of solution as needed.
This stuff derusts better than Evaporust, while being safe and mild with the base material. It lasts much longer than Evaporust also.
Never use harsh chemicals like hydrochloric/muriatic acid to derust. Yes, that stuff is fast, but it's crazy harsh and should be avoided.
Ed
Carb O-ring Kits : www.kzrider.com/forum/14-vendor-forum/62...rburetor-o-ring-kits
www.kzrider.com/forum/faq-wiki/618026-new-owner-things-to-know
1981 KZ750E2
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/604901...z750e-project-thread
Carb O-ring Kits : www.kzrider.com/forum/14-vendor-forum/62...rburetor-o-ring-kits
www.kzrider.com/forum/faq-wiki/618026-new-owner-things-to-know
1981 KZ750E2
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/604901...z750e-project-thread
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
- chopper1963
-
Topic Author
- Offline
- User
-

Registered
- Posts: 424
- Thanks: 94
Re: Save the Tank No Save The Tank
Yesterday 15:26
What's a complete set of 1982 GPz750 red cosmetics worth, with a the mean-ass Kerker that makes oil changes a serious pain in the ass? $1500? $900? $2000? $800?
Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.
Moderators: Street Fighter LTD
