Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Chrome headlight basket 31 Aug 2023 19:08 #888903

• Ojisan rider
  • Ojisan rider's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 63
Aloha guys. I know this is question regarding headlight, but it's more towards painting (if possible), so I'm posting it here. If this belongs to somewhere else, please move it accordingly. But for now, here it goes.

I been upgrading my connectors and wiring harness on my 750. Some wires got bit thicker, some got new and improved connectors. Some got bigger connector (only because that's all I had at that point. At the time of making COVID was the problem, both retail and shipping wise), where some got two small instead of one big ones. Anyway, due to this, wires/connectors that fitted inside the headlight basket no longer fits. Now, my headlight was square one to begin with. So I had little more space but now, I've moved to round ones and space ran out rather quickly.

So I jumped on the computer and searched on the net and found several baskets that I wanted to try, but one problem. Most of them are chrome. But it's composite/plastic basket. so my question is just how hard to paint or remove chrome from this composite.plastic basket? Because of where I live, I tried to black out everything I can within my line of sight. I don't want the sun to blind me. Or if I need to keep the metal color, I'll paint it silver to lessen the reflection. Either way, I'll probably paint the basket anyway so if all possible, I want to remove the chrome finish.

Can it be done or can I sand the basket and prep for paint?
82' KZ750-R1 cafe racer style. Clip-on, Rear set, Fork-Brace, Mikuni Flat-slide (forgot the size), Kerker.
84' GPz750 (basket case). everything are in pieces.
89' ZX750-H1 (ZX-7 Ninja). Resurrection project are on going with my KZ750. Everything is stock.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Chrome headlight basket 01 Sep 2023 06:53 #888913

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1623
I would just prime and paint it after cleaning with denatured alcohol.  Below are pics of the manifold section of my muffler system with Rustoleum bar-b-q grill paint as a rust preventive measure and it has held up well. no peeling or chips or anything.  I've painted the back side of almost all steel parts on my motorcycle, either black or silver and using whatever paint was available. engine paint. bar-b-q paint. wheel paint. without priming anything. I did the inside of the headlight bucket in black bbq but silver wheel paint would've been better.

After wire wheeling and prior to painting. 

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Chrome headlight basket 01 Sep 2023 07:21 #888915

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2678
I've painted chrome parts before with good success. The bright surface should be sanded, sand blasted, or etched in some way first, to give the metal some tooth for the paint to hold on to.  Chrome is hard, so this is not a trivial task, but it is most definitely doable.  

Chrome headlight basket 01 Sep 2023 19:08 #888934

• Ojisan rider
  • Sustaining Member
Thanks guys. Never tried paint a chrome parts, so I wasn't sure. I do have sandblaster so will drop the pressure and try to etch it.

Will update once I'm finish with the project. But first, I gotta get the basket.
82' KZ750-R1 cafe racer style. Clip-on, Rear set, Fork-Brace, Mikuni Flat-slide (forgot the size), Kerker.
89' ZX750-H1 (ZX-7 Ninja). Resurrection project are on going with my KZ750. Everything is stock.

Chrome headlight basket 02 Sep 2023 09:09 #888943

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2678

Thanks guys. Never tried paint a chrome parts, so I wasn't sure. I do have sandblaster so will drop the pressure and try to etch it.

Will update once I'm finish with the project. But first, I gotta get the basket.

A sharp edged media will work best.  Don't use glass bead, it's not aggressive enough.  

Chrome headlight basket 02 Sep 2023 13:51 #888949

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2067
Something like this   
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: BCScott

Chrome headlight basket 02 Sep 2023 22:43 #888959

• Ojisan rider
  • Sustaining Member

Something like this   

Look aggressive enough . I'll send it to ya. What's the turn around time ? Oh, and please, don't be that paint shop ( I had to wait a year to get my frame back. I'm not kidding).

• Page: