Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Vetter pinstripe decal replacement 08 Jul 2023 09:45 #886980

• rokit_armor
  • rokit_armor's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 13
I'm looking to pick up and restore a KZ 650 SR with the complete Vetter kit. I would like to keep this bike original, but like the pinstripe is scuffed/broken in a few spots. Should I color match paint the missing pinstripe sections? Can NOS pinstripe decals even be found (I couldn't)? Should I just remove the original pinstripe and replace it all with either pinstripe tape or painted pinstripes? 

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Vetter pinstripe decal replacement 08 Jul 2023 12:48 #886984

• Nerdy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 379
So, dumb question: are you sure the pinstripes are original, or is it possible a PO added them?

I ask because if you look at the top front corner of the tail box (or the top right corner in the pic) the striping appears to be wobbly and that corner doesn't look like the others. The vertical stripe down the front of the box isn't parallel to the indentation in the molded casing like the one on the back. I am not making fun of it; I'm saying it doesn't look factory to me.

However, I think your best bet would be to find some new (recently produced) pinstriping tape. If you were able to find a set of NOS decals, they would be quite old (hence the O) and might be brittle and/or less likely to work. And the cases appear to be plastic on the outside, which might complicate painting. Tape will be a lot more forgiving.

And if you find out the stripes aren't original, you can just skip them. :)

1979 KZ400 Gifted to a couple of nephews
1967 Yamaha YCS1 Bonanza
1980 KZ440B
1981 Yamaha XT250H
1981 KZ440 LTD project bike
1981 GPz550
2013 Yamaha FZ6R

Vetter pinstripe decal replacement 08 Jul 2023 15:10 #886989

• Injected
  • User
  • Thank you received: 403
Have you checked on here? :

www.craigvetter.com/

www.vetterowners.com/

I clicked on the restorations parts links and they are not working, they were a few years ago when I was fixing my Quicksilver up. Vetter is 80 so probably does not care about internet sales :)

I ended up buying some generic reflective pin striping tape off Ebay for a pretty reasonable price.

Attachments:

Last edit: by Injected. Reason: pic

Vetter pinstripe decal replacement 08 Jul 2023 15:39 #886990

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2067
I really like the look of that particular model of Vetter bags, especially from the rear. I suspect that some high quality pinstripe tape is going to be the best solution. I wonder if the distortion Nerdy mentioned is in the plastic itself rather than wonky stripe application?
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Vetter pinstripe decal replacement 09 Jul 2023 06:56 #887009

• Injected
  • User
If you scroll down near the bottom of this page you can see what he offered to Kawasaki as a dealer accessory :

www.craigvetter.com/pages/Vetter_Fairing...er_Fairing_made.html

If you know the model of the fairing or bags/box you can check the serial numbers on that page.
I believe they were only fitted at Kawi dealers on big bikes (900/1000/1100/1300) from 1977-1983 as that chart suggests.

Vetter pinstripe decal replacement 11 Jul 2023 15:01 #887127

• rokit_armor
  • rokit_armor's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 13
Thanks all, I think I'll go with removing the existing striping and replacing it with new vinyl. That should be good enough. 
I too noticed the wobbliness of the stripe on the tail box, I'll find out tonight if it is just the decal or if the plastic is warped. Hopefully just the decal. 

The only upgrades I am considering are replacing the radio and speakers, and upgrading the rear shocks. Just a hint of modern to make the bike a bit more of a daily ride for the new owner.

Vetter pinstripe decal replacement 12 Jul 2023 08:39 #887147

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2067

If you scroll down near the bottom of this page you can see what he offered to Kawasaki as a dealer accessory :

www.craigvetter.com/pages/Vetter_Fairing...er_Fairing_made.html

If you know the model of the fairing or bags/box you can check the serial numbers on that page.
I believe they were only fitted at Kawi dealers on big bikes (900/1000/1100/1300) from 1977-1983 as that chart suggests.

Wasn’t the touring equipment on the KZ400-A (Deluxe) made by Vetter?
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Vetter pinstripe decal replacement 09 Sep 2023 07:04 #889189

• Injected
  • User
I don't believe everything he did is on the web site, he probably had someone else input the information. Most likely you are correct, I believe he would do anything for a dollar. He put his logo and part numbers on everything he built.

I only ever went on there to research my own fairing otherwise it is not a frequented site.

Last edit: by Injected. Reason: info
  • Page: