Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Installing gas cap 21 Apr 2023 02:10 #883518

• Wookie58
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1793

Thanks Wookie, Unfortunately that's for the locking cap that needs only one pin the cap I have is a repop Z1 cap with no lock just a latch.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Installing gas cap 21 Apr 2023 02:56 #883519

• Warren3200gt
  • User
  • Thank you received: 656
As its an repop cap they have covered all the bases as Z1, Z1A & Z1b were slightly different.
I would say the roll pin is the for the cap as all the hinged cap tanks I've seen use a roll pin there. 
For the latch I would go with whichever of the other two that matches the width of the latch. 

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moose1800

Last edit: by Warren3200gt.

Installing gas cap 21 Apr 2023 07:28 #883526

• Moose1800
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 260
Thanks Warren! That makes sense, I didn't know the Z1/Z1A cap was different from the Z1B that explains why I have an extra pin.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Warren3200gt

Installing gas cap 29 Apr 2023 18:20 #883972

• Gray17
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
One thing i noticed when i did mine after having the tank replaced and then painted, was theres 2 coats primer, top coat then lacquer which makes the tank cap and especially the lock pivot, very tight, i cleaned mine around the pivots and added a touch of silicone grease to prevent rust and allow smooth operation, when i removed it, there was no spring so guess that one went the same way as yours into garage black hole!. It still works without just means you have to move the latch to lock it closed with your fingers rather the spring loaded. But the cap seal is spring loaded so locks it in place.
I'm curious how a pen spring would work in place as the original is like a clothes peg spring with 2 legs on it and roll pin goes through the middle, whereas a pen spring is just a straight upright spring?

• Page: