Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

A exhaust tragedy.. 01 Oct 2019 09:14 #811575

• shamal
  • shamal's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
My friends, i just did the most stupid thing of my entire life. While i had tge mufflers off the bike due to a tyre change, i thought to clean the exhaust of my gpz900r. The black chrome ones. Well.. I just tried to polish a bit them with the cloth disc i use with ny drill to polish aluminum and make it like chrome.
Well, obliviously the black chrome finish is off.
Now my mufflers looks like a zebra. What can i do? :(
1983 kz 550 h

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

A exhaust tragedy.. 01 Oct 2019 09:30 #811576

• Robb2018
  • User
  • 76 KZ900 73 Z1 A
  • Thank you received: 29

shamal wrote: My friends, i just did the most stupid thing of my entire life. While i had tge mufflers off the bike due to a tyre change, i thought to clean the exhaust of my gpz900r. The black chrome ones. Well.. I just tried to polish a bit them with the cloth disc i use with ny drill to polish aluminum and make it like chrome.
Well, obliviously the black chrome finish is off.
Now my mufflers looks like a zebra. What can i do? :(

That's a shame Shamal. Looks like you're stuck with either polishing the rest of it off or painting them black. The black chrome is a nice look. I've done dumb shit like that in the past and then beat myself up in hindsight for not trying first on a non visible spot. Live and learn. Good luck. Could you post a pic?
KZ900; Z1

Last edit: by Robb2018.

A exhaust tragedy.. 01 Oct 2019 14:34 #811580

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
  • Thank you received: 361
Stop beating yourself up. We all have done stupid things in our past, at least I certainly have. I did a quick search for black chrome paint but most do not indicate they are high heat resistance unless power coated and then covered with several coats of paint and clear.

Do post a pic so we can give you a better idea of what we may do if in the same situation.
1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

This is my Z

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT

A exhaust tragedy.. 02 Oct 2019 09:41 #811621

• old_kaw
  • User
  • Thank you received: 269
If that's the stupidest thing you have done in your entire life? YOU must live a sheltered life!

Hold my beer! (I don't drink)

Hardly a day goes by that I don't do SOMETHING that I later regret.. One of the STUPIDEST things I have done to my bike lately was to prop the kickstand on the end of my ramp, then head up the ramp to get some packing tape out of the house, the ramp moved from my weight, and my old kaw went over HARD on it's right side.. .SMASH!< (forks were turned to the right) smashing the tach bezel, breaking off the right mirror, and smashing the R/R turn signal lens & housing.. While adding some road rash to the ignition cover, and SS delkevic muffler.. At this point, I WISH all I had done was attempt to polish the header.

At the time I did not realize the ramp moved when I walked on it, soooo.. a few weeks later, I had it propped in the ~same spot, and it went over AGAIN..., just not so hard / bad this time, because I ALMOST caught it DOH!

Attachment not found

** FUN FACT! > Did you know the front brake lever and handlebars are malleable and will bend back into shape?

The OEM throttle grip is now torn. . :pinch:

I am glad I rathole all of those extra parts, just for days like that.
1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Located in the Saint Louis, Missouri Area.

Last edit: by old_kaw. Reason: typo's

A exhaust tragedy.. 01 Nov 2019 18:01 #813411

• ErlingW
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
No need to panic. They might not end up looking the same, but You can put new bright zinc on them, and passivate the zinc with a black dye. It might cost You a few bucks, but at least You'll end up with a set of "new" exhausts! I just bout all the ingredients to do this kind of work on my GT750 and Z1000 ST in a DIY kit Fasteners, exhausts, brackets and carbs will get the treatment I've always been looking for, but never could afford to do.

Regards, ErlingW in Oslo, Norway

• Page: