• Page:

TOPIC:

Are people cutting their mufflers? 18 Nov 2018 16:41 #793928

• newkzrider18
  • newkzrider18's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello everyone,

I have been looking into aftermarket exhausts, and since I'm broke (school life!), just a slip on.
While looking I have seen KZ riders who have been able to simply put a muffler on to their exhaust. When checking my service manual, though, I have a 2 in 2 and it looks like the entire exhaust is one assembly.
Is it just my year that has a one package exhaust? How would I put an aftermarket exhuast on, then? Cut the pipe somewhere??
Is that something people do to fit a new muffler on?
I don't know how I feel about that...
Thanks
1980 KZ 440 LTD Model A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Are people cutting their mufflers? 18 Nov 2018 16:53 #793929

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2067
One or two piece systems were pretty common. Basically your choices are a complete new system, cut your system and add aftermarket mufflers , or fabricate a full custom system.
What are your goals here?
If your system is in good shape, you may be able to sell it for enough money to buy a full aftermarket system.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Are people cutting their mufflers? 18 Nov 2018 21:05 #793944

• newkzrider18
  • newkzrider18's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Hm, I don’t know if my system is in good shape, the PO drilled holes into the muffler to try and get a good “sound”...I know that is looked down on so might not be able to sell it.

Well I’m a young kid so honest, my goal is a cool sound haha, but I don’t want to mess too much with the back pressure. I keep worrying about that and how much it will degrade the engine life.
Looking to spend ~$150 max... :o

But anywho, the cutting. Where would one cut the pipe? When the pipe is at the diameters of after market mufflers?

Thanks!
1980 KZ 440 LTD Model A

Are people cutting their mufflers? 19 Nov 2018 01:18 #793946

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
  • Thank you received: 664
pick whatever "slip on " muffler you want that has the same outer dimension as your exhaust just rearwards of the crossover tube that connects the two exhausts. cut it the old muflers off with a hack saw behind the cross over but leave enough room for the slip on to pinch. slip on the new mufflers, and figure out a bracket to hang the mufflers from. it will be easier to cut the tubes if you remove the whole system first.

Last edit: by DoctoRot.

Are people cutting their mufflers? 19 Nov 2018 05:08 #793947

• Warren3200gt
  • User
  • Thank you received: 656
By th time you have cut up your existing with the risk of a total cluster fuck and ending up with an unknown performance and sound at best you would be better going for one of the delkevic options for your bike. Known quality build, stainless for longevity, sound awesome and you would still have your stock system in one piece to sell or keep for a later time.
There really isn't a system on the market that competes on a combination of quality and price with the stainless steel bonus.

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!

The following user(s) said Thank You: Scirocco, perrykz1000

Are people cutting their mufflers? 19 Nov 2018 06:53 #793955

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
J&P Cycles & other place sell Emgo Dunstall replica mufflers. Helix Racing is another brand & I believe Summit carries their products. There may be a couple of other brands. Some of them have removable end caps, so that you can adjust the baffles. Some include reducers for mating the mufflers to your exhaust pipes & hopefully the mufflers include the gaskets. I would get a digital caliper from harbor freight to find the best place to make the cuts. the gaskets should fit kind of snug. not loose. Be sure to take into account how the muffler hanger will fit.

Helix Racing Products >>> the shape of this Helix megaphone is kind of neat.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Are people cutting their mufflers? 19 Nov 2018 07:28 #793958

• 83550m
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0

Warren3200gt wrote: By th time you have cut up your existing with the risk of a total cluster fuck and ending up with an unknown performance and sound at best you would be better going for one of the delkevic options for your bike. Known quality build, stainless for longevity, sound awesome and you would still have your stock system in one piece to sell or keep for a later time.
There really isn't a system on the market that competes on a combination of quality and price with the stainless steel bonus.

I have a kz440 also and was wondering about a new exhaust.... went to delkevic website and didn't see a system for it..
1978 kz650 b2
1980 kz440 b1
1983 kz550m LTD

Are people cutting their mufflers? 19 Nov 2018 07:59 #793960

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2621
When my mufflers rusted out I bought Jardine slip ons. I cut just before the welds and they slid right on with no leaks. Ran them 5 years until I got cross over pipes. ("Tuned exhaust") I loved them until the wreck in 86. Got some side draft mufflers (I hated them) then got my V/H 4/1. I miss my old 2/2 system sound. Now I have a barking in my right ear ALL THE TIME. :angry:
If you have a cross over system it would be better to keep it and just change the mufflers.
Steve

Are people cutting their mufflers? 21 Dec 2018 08:56 #795502

• 78z1Joe
  • User
  • My man cave is my garage....
  • Thank you received: 21
Hi going through some very old files and found this install sheet. May be useful for someone, wish we could buy them still.
Merry Christmas all,
Joe

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

1978 KZ 1000
1982 GS 300 training bike
Previous Rides...
75 RD 350
72 CB 500 Four
72 SL 125
71 CT 70
69 3 1/2 HP mini bike
Attachments:

• Page: