• Page:

TOPIC:

Mirrors and displays 04 Jun 2006 07:38 #51952

• psychbiker
  • psychbiker's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Greetings all,

I am returning to the motorcycling world after about a decade hiatus.

I have acquired a 1981 KZ750 LTD which is running well, but has a couple of minor flaws (always seeking perfection, right?)

1) The left mirror has an extreme vibration above 40 mph. (No such problem with the right.) I've tried putting a rubber washer or lock washer between the mirror and the mount, but no luck. It has been suggested to me that a motorcycle vibrates so live with it, but in my earlier riding, I didn't have the problem.

2) Can anyone suggest a way to restore the lettering to the center display indicator lights? Everything works fine, but the letters have all rubbed off.

Like I said, minor flaws.

Looking forward to being a part of the community!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mirrors and displays 04 Jun 2006 08:12 #51961

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
psychbiker wrote:

...1) The left mirror has an extreme vibration above 40 mph. (No such problem with the right.) I've tried putting a rubber washer or lock washer between the mirror and the mount, but no luck. It has been suggested to me that a motorcycle vibrates so live with it, but in my earlier riding, I didn't have the problem.

There's a recent thread; "Shot-filled bars" that has a few ideas you might give a gander at....

kzrider.com/component/option,com_joomlab...id,5/id,51340#51340/

Might be a good idea to take a good look at those bars as well - you didn't mention how "extreme" an extreme vibration is, but if your knuckles rattle on the left while the right is steady, there may be a defect in the bars from previous drops, etc...

....2) Can anyone suggest a way to restore the lettering to the center display indicator lights? Everything works fine, but the letters have all rubbed off.

Teeny-tiny little stencils or decals.

A lot of custom accessory shops that customize pickup trucks and the like have decal/stencil cutters that can recreate practically any font and point size that their computer can recognise.

Hope that helps...

Post edited by: Pterosaur, at: 2006/06/04 11:13

Mirrors and displays 04 Jun 2006 08:22 #51963

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
  • Thank you received: 29
Welcome to KZr psychbiker.

If you do a search, there are some really informative threads on just about everything pertaining to all of the KZ models.

1) Replacing the mirrors with Napoleon style mirrors, as well as filling the handlebars with either BB's or sand will help remedy the vibrating mirror syndrome to some extent.

2) There is a very detailed thread in the archived section with a DIY gauge resto that was performed by a member here, or you could contact Bob at Z-Resto (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.) to have him do it for you.
I believe his prices range around $85~$90 per gauge. It includes repainting both the top and bottom, NEW glass, restoration of the needle and faceplate as well as recalibration. :)
Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

Mirrors and displays 04 Jun 2006 12:32 #52018

• psychbiker
  • User
Pterosaur wrote:
Might be a good idea to take a good look at those bars as well - you didn't mention how "extreme" an extreme vibration is, but if your knuckles rattle on the left while the right is steady, there may be a defect in the bars from previous drops, etc...

Well, it doesn't make my teeth rattle, but it does make the left mirror pretty useless -- perhaps what someone with 20/100 vision would see (shapes & colors, no detail).

I'll have to investigate the BB/birdshot solution.

A lot of custom accessory shops that customize pickup trucks and the like have decal/stencil cutters that can recreate practically any font and point size that <I>their computer can recognise.</I>

If I have to rely on someone else's computer anyway, has anyone had any luck creating labelling decals on a home PC? I know you can buy clear inkjet/laser stickers. I'm assuming you'd have to take some extra steps to insure adhesion and waterproofing.

Thanks for the quick response!

Mirrors and displays 04 Jun 2006 12:37 #52021

• psychbiker
  • User
Pterosaur wrote:

There's a recent thread; "Shot-filled bars" that has a few ideas you might give a gander at....

Well, it doesn't make my teeth rattle, but does make the left mirror pretty useless. I'd estimate its like a person with 20/100 vision -- shapes and colors, but no detail.

Teeny-tiny little stencils or decals.

A lot of custom accessory shops that customize pickup trucks and the like have decal/stencil cutters that can recreate practically any font and point size that their computer can recognise.

If I have to rely on a computer anyway, has anyone had any luck creating such decals on a home PC? I know you can purchase clear stickers, but assume their would have to be some additional steps to insure adhesion/waterproofing.

Thanks for the quick response.

Mirrors and displays 04 Jun 2006 12:41 #52023

• wireman
  • Visitor
if they are raised letters how about just painting them with a toothpick or real small brush like you use for painting model cars?;)

Mirrors and displays 04 Jun 2006 13:06 #52029

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
wireman wrote:

if they are raised letters how about just painting them with a toothpick or real small brush like you use for painting model cars?;)

Well, maybe after about a half a bobble of Jack to steady the pinkies... :P

Mirrors and displays 06 Jun 2006 04:46 #52473

• heartless
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
you can actually buy regular decal paper - just like the kind used on/for models - for inkjet printers from hobby shops (possibly places like Staples)...altho I am not real sure how durable that idea would be. It would definitely need to be sealed somehow - as would painting them, if you want it to last...

OOoo - just had a brain storm!! (that doesnt happen often!!:P )
Hobby shops that sell model railroad stuff have sheets of lettering in various sizes, colors (including white) and font styles - they are dry transfer type - as in rub it on....would still need to seal it somehow, but would probably work really well, and be legible, if you took your time and lined up the letters carefully.

Post edited by: heartless, at: 2006/06/06 07:51

Mirrors and displays 06 Jun 2006 04:53 #52474

• wireman
  • Visitor
Pterosaur wrote:

wireman wrote:

Well, maybe after about a half a bobble of Jack to steady the pinkies... :P

box it up and send it to me,ill paint dem dere letters fer ya!:P

• Page: