Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Handmade fiberglass cafe fairing how-to UPDATED MAY 22 15 May 2006 18:50 #47546

• bkitchen
  • bkitchen's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I am going to try to post a how-to on the fairing I am working on. Here is a before pic of my bike with a cafe fairing I had bought. I think it sits a little high and forward looking. I wanted something smaller too. Not as small as the flyscreens you see on newer bikes but smaller than this one.

Post edited by: bkitchen, at: 2006/05/22 15:28
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Handmade fiberglass cafe fairing how-to 15 May 2006 18:55 #47551

• bkitchen
  • User
This is only the 3rd project I have tried in fiberglass, so I am no expert.:P I started with a base form made from plywood with some metal lath(used in tile and stucco work). I cut and formed the lath to create the compound curve. This base will also add some strength to the fairing. The little headlight visor is made from a piece of drywall corner bead. It looks a little odd at this stage.
Attachments:

Handmade fiberglass cafe fairing how-to 15 May 2006 19:00 #47552

• bkitchen
  • User
Next I covered it in an old heavy weight t-shirt material. Pulling it tight so there are as few wrinkles as possible. Hot glue it as you go on the back side. Use a dark fabric if possible. After putting on the fabric mix up your fiberglass resin as stated on can. DO THIS OUTSIDE!!! Fumes are real bad. Paint and dab with paint brush onto fabric. By using the dark fabric you can see where you have put it easier.
Attachments:

Handmade fiberglass cafe fairing how-to 15 May 2006 19:03 #47554

• bkitchen
  • User
When dry I sanded some and then added more resin with some fiberglass mat to the inside of the fairing for strength. By doing it on the inside you still get the smoothness of the fabric on the outside. I didn't get a pic of this step.

Handmade fiberglass cafe fairing how-to 15 May 2006 19:05 #47555

• bkitchen
  • User
Here is a pic after some more sanding and a little bondo work.
Attachments:

Handmade fiberglass cafe fairing how-to 15 May 2006 19:08 #47556

• bkitchen
  • User
At this point it is almost ready for prime and paint(been raining here for 2 weeks don't know when I will get this done) But you get the idea of the finished fairing. It basically will go over the headlight and just above my gauges.
Attachments:

Handmade fiberglass cafe fairing how-to 15 May 2006 19:21 #47564

• KitNYC
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Hey, nice little how-to there. Thanks for the write-up! I just got done with my first fiberglass job, repairing a badly cracked plastic fender. I learned a few things doing it:

Bondo polyester resin sets up fast!!! If you walk to the other end of the house to have a smoke away from the fumes, it will be hard by the time you get back.

Having the window wide open with a fan on full blast WILL NOT do anything to get rid of the fumes if you try to do this in your kitchen. :P

The plastic containers the Chinese place uses for soup are 3" around at the bottom. Works out nicely, 'cause the Bondo kit says to use a 3" wide by 1/2" deep circle of resin with a 3" strip of hardener.

Cheers,
-Kit

Handmade fiberglass cafe fairing how-to 15 May 2006 19:49 #47575

• Fossil
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Very nice fairing, and a good how-to. The fairing reminds me of a Ducati Monster. Why not use that as a buck, take a mould off it and make your cast, tinted gel coat first backed up by a couple of layers of fibreglass. You can also mount your brackets while making the cast. The cast will be lighter, and you might be able to sell a few. I don't see any under cuts so a simple reinforced plaster mould will be cheap and easy to make.
Another way to make the buck is to carve it out of foam, apply a layer of plaster when you're happy with the shape, sand it to shape and smooth and take your mould from that.

Post edited by: Fossil, at: 2006/05/15 22:50

Handmade fiberglass cafe fairing how-to 16 May 2006 05:43 #47661

• heartless
  • User
nice job so far! cant wait to see it finished and on the bike.

like the idea of the stucco lathe too - sturdier than chicken wire, and still fairly easy to mold...hmmmm....the wheels are turnin....:huh: :side: :silly:

Handmade fiberglass cafe fairing how-to 16 May 2006 20:21 #47886

• bkitchen
  • User
Fossil- Not a bad idea about making more. Although I have zero knowledge as to how to actually do that. :laugh:

Heartless-The stucco lath is great. I had thought about making a full curvy vintage race fairing out of it. Might be on my wish list of things to try.

Handmade fiberglass cafe fairing how-to 16 May 2006 21:33 #47922

• agawam
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
To make more, you need to make a mold, when finished,painted, wax the piece atleast 7 time with a good paste wax(meguires mold release wax is good)then coat the piece with plaster of paris and let it dry, the wax will allow you to remove it from the mold,you should make sure the piece is not locked in the mold,you may have to make the mold in two pieces, apiece of wax paper or cardboard between the two halves will work.now that you have a mold paint and wax the insidethis will keep the resin from sticking to the mold. Now you can start laying in your mat and resin,3 to 4 layers should be enough. Fiberglass evercoat makes a good easy sanding filler to finish off the outside of your new piece

Handmade fiberglass cafe fairing how-to 17 May 2006 04:01 #47944

• indykaw77
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Good thinking!!! ALOT more can be done with fiberglass than most folks might think.
Whatcha gonna do for a windscreen??? Or did I just miss that in the post???????
Kawasaki Motorcycles...because cars lean th wrong way!

• Page: