Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

pterosaur, reply 15 May 2006 16:08 #47502

• mykznme
  • mykznme's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
sorry for the delayed reply but my mother had my camera on her vacation.
i opened a new thread so i wasnt hijacking the other.

the stripe is platikote chameleon (blue-green) and all the other paints are duplicolor.

a few months of wear on the paint just goes to show you how well rattlecan holds up.you can see the two spots where its chipped
i had a couple of bleeds on the gold stripe up by the front of the tank(guess i didnt seat it well enough)but for the most part its a decent paintjob.
i had a couple of people ask me why i put the money into a pro paintjob for a 30yr old motorcycle so i guess it isnt too bad.
im still toying with wich tank i want to use.
after resizing heres the best my 10 yr old camera will offer.

R.I.P. Odd Ivar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

pterosaur, reply 15 May 2006 16:48 #47522

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
mykznme wrote:

sorry for the delayed reply but my mother had my camera on her vacation.

That's okay - *never* mess with a Mom on vacation - I'd rather hop the fence at a zoo and kick a sleeping tiger in the a$$...

i opened a new thread so i wasnt hijacking the other.

the stripe is platikote chameleon (blue-green) and all the other paints are duplicolor.

a few months of wear on the paint just goes to show you how well rattlecan holds up.you can see the two spots where its chipped....

That's *waaay* okay.

Severely impressed I remain.

Most of the people I know that have the Huevos to even *try* a job like that the rattlecan route don't have the touch to pull it off. Huevos and *touch* are generally mutually exclusive items.

Bleeds are an eternal problem with rattlecans - the paint is thinned way too far. You did good.

Though I'm usually not a brand-snob, I like to stick with 3M line masks, and I have a soft drafting eraser I use on paint-line edges.

Chips are why I've developed a nose for the aroma of epoxy clears.

...i had a couple of people ask me why i put the money into a pro paintjob for a 30yr old motorcycle so i guess it isnt too bad.

No it's not - it's a *lot* better than not_that_bad. You've got every reason to be proud of the job and all you put into it.

The biggest thrill we get is asking people not to slobber too much on the results - and it's twice as sweet when they're leaving nose-prints in it and still haven't a clue as to how it's done.

All the thought, all the prep, all the fumes, all the pushing your luck trying to lay it out *just* this side of running into a puddle on the floor...

...is worth it for results like that.

Especially when you luck out and the local gnat decides to cut you some slack and not go for a hike on it 30 seconds after you lay the last shot...

Excellent job, and let no one tell you otherwise...

pterosaur, reply 15 May 2006 17:25 #47536

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
Matter of fact, I'll go you one better...

Screw imitation - *inspiration* is the sincerest form of flattery.

A couple of months ago, I found this *really* leading-edge out ahead of the curve (!expensive!) stuff that tickled my imagination as to what kind of tricks I could pull with it.

But it's testy stuff, difficult to work with and will require probably more than a couple multi-layer test shots to even get a handle on.

So it kind of stayed in the back of my mind.

Well, it's all your fault.

I dug up a KZ1000 tank I had stashed in the rafters, set it in plain sight, and am now planning to work into it over the summer. It's at the *bb rattling around my brain* stage, but that's usually how trick jobs start....

pterosaur, reply 15 May 2006 18:45 #47544

• mykznme
  • User
well this wasnt my first go round.
ive been sniffin paint for a good percentage of my life so far but im just now getting to the point where im close to getting my own shop (within the next 2-3 years depending on how other investments turn out)

the only reason i opted for rattlcan on this shot was because im going to tear it down and rebuild it over the winter and its getting a whole new color scheme.
plus trying to figure out how i want the bike to look and get all the parts in the same scheme as cheap as possible.

and of course ya cant ride around on faded paint:P

agreed on the 3m, most of my garage belongs to em
;)

R.I.P. Odd Ivar

pterosaur, reply 15 May 2006 18:55 #47550

• mykznme
  • User
Pterosaur wrote:

Matter of fact, I'll go you one better...

Screw imitation - *inspiration* is the sincerest form of flattery.

A couple of months ago, I found this *really* leading-edge out ahead of the curve (!expensive!) stuff that tickled my imagination as to what kind of tricks I could pull with it.

But it's testy stuff, difficult to work with and will require probably more than a couple multi-layer test shots to even get a handle on.

So it kind of stayed in the back of my mind.

Well, it's all your fault.

I dug up a KZ1000 tank I had stashed in the rafters, set it in plain sight, and am now planning to work into it over the summer. It's at the *bb rattling around my brain* stage, but that's usually how trick jobs start....

is it 2 part? c'mon man dont leave me in the dark.

R.I.P. Odd Ivar

pterosaur, reply 15 May 2006 19:11 #47558

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
Dig it. Check your PMs. ;)

• Page: