• Page:

TOPIC:

ABS Fender Painting? 08 May 2006 09:55 #45892

• KitNYC
  • KitNYC's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Hey paint gurus:

Apologies for the non-KZ question. I have a brand-new fender for my Triumph. $160 item I scored for $40 shipped on eBay! Of course, it's red instead of black, & nowhere near the same red as the trim on my bike...

After getting quoted $100 to paint it at a couple different places, I've decided that a rattlecan job is called for. I'd like to do it right, so I'm looking for tips.

I figure I'll sand it first, but I'm not sure what grit to use.

After sanding, I figure I'll hit it with paint & a clear coat. I'm looking for brand & product recommendations here, the fender is made of ABS plastic.

Also, do I need a primer?

Thanks,
-Kit

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

ABS Fender Painting? 08 May 2006 16:50 #45986

• dan76kz900
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I'm not a paint gru, but this is what I think..

since its ABS, you dont need any special paint. Well, I would use a grey scotchbrite pad to scratch the fender up for painting. Do not scuff it too aggressively, or scratches may be seen though the paint. Since you are gonna spray bomb it.. I dont think you need to bother with a primer or sealer. Are you going to spray it black ?

ABS Fender Painting? 08 May 2006 16:59 #45988

• KitNYC
  • User
Thanks, Dan. I've never seen a grey Scotchbrite before, but I'll have a look when I'm at Lowe's or Home Depot or whatever.

I am going to spray it black.

Cheers,
-Kit

ABS Fender Painting? 09 May 2006 17:37 #46216

• dan76kz900
  • User
I dont know if those home improvment stores will have the grey scotchbrite. I'd try a auto parts store - they probably small packages of them.. A paint supplier shop probably would only sell you a box of them.

ABS Fender Painting? 10 May 2006 10:28 #46384

• KitNYC
  • User
Thanks. I'll take the local roads home from my girlfriend's place today & stop in one of the auto parts shops along the way.

Cheers,
-Kit

ABS Fender Painting? 10 May 2006 10:49 #46393

• rammy
  • User
depending on how much the fender is going to flex if any you might want to see about getting paint with a flex agent in it.regular laquir or enamal paint may be too "stiff"and crack since you will be painting ABS / plastic
The barn yard;77 Kz650B-1 Kaw(the fun one) & 89 classic hog.
Chicago area-south burbs

ABS Fender Painting? 10 May 2006 11:29 #46407

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
rammy wrote:

depending on how much the fender is going to flex if any you might want to see about getting paint with a flex agent in it.regular laquir or enamal paint may be too "stiff"and crack since you will be painting ABS / plastic

Agreed.

ABS is funny stuff. There's special mold release treatments to get 'em squeaky clean while prepping - you might think it's clean, but even traces of the mold release will cause enough "fisheye" to make the fender look like a map of the moon. Flex agents to allow the paint to stretch and bend with the fender.

Here's a good site on problems with ABS painting:

www.umgabs.co.jp/en/solution/trouble/t_50.htm

Might sound like a lot, but depending on the job, $100 isn't out of line. Especially if it's guaranteed.

Best of luck with it....

ABS Fender Painting? 10 May 2006 11:30 #46409

• FireBurst
  • User
Just find an autobody supply store. They should be able to mix the paint the exact color you need and load it into a rattlecan. They will also know what prep is required for the product you are using.

ABS Fender Painting? 18 May 2006 00:10 #48177

• KitNYC
  • User
Thanks for the tips, y'all. I ended up fiberglassing my cracked fender into workable shape & selling the brand-new, factory painted red one. I've been out of work for a while, so a little extra cash makes up for riding around with a ratty fender 'til I'm employed again. :P

Cheers,
-Kit

• Page: