Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

discoloring around gas cap 23 Apr 2006 10:53 #41853

• fuzzwardo
  • fuzzwardo's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
My tank has a little discoloring around the gas cap for when the previous owner spilled some gas on the tank. I used some Honda polish to try and clean it up, and it did a little but I would like to do better. Does anyone have any tricks that I could use? Other than around the gas cap, the rest of the paint looks pretty good so I'd like to make it lookk good.
1978 Kz650B
2001 ZX9R
1996 zx9r project
1985 Suzuki SP250
1991 Harley Electra-glide classic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

discoloring around gas cap 23 Apr 2006 12:19 #41870

• NOS
  • User
For a quick semi-fix :whistle: try spraying it with armour-all and wipe it down well. It has worked for me in the past to "quick fix" worn paint and oxidation so it looks better.
As far as a more long lasting alternative you could try a polish/rubbing compound and then seal it up. I have even tried some boat fiberglass restore and had great results on paint before ( I would try it in a place where you can't see before using on the whole tank ). After using that and rubbing for a while :whistle: you can use a sealer/wax to finish it off.

These are options that work for different applications. As far as being the "best" for your prob, I don't know :unsure:. I hope some of the info I gave you will help. If not... well at least you know what has worked for me :laugh: :whistle: :huh:
Take care and ride safe. :)

discoloring around gas cap 23 Apr 2006 19:18 #41967

• fuzzwardo
  • fuzzwardo's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
Thanks for the reply, every thought is helpful. I'll probably try your suggestion this weekend.
1978 Kz650B
2001 ZX9R
1996 zx9r project
1985 Suzuki SP250
1991 Harley Electra-glide classic

• Page: