Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Will Paint for Food... 13 Apr 2006 16:31 #39290

• OldManSaul
  • OldManSaul's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Ok, not really for food, but I can paint very well. I'm picking up my first bike on Saturday and I sorta kinda need a couple things.

1) To learn how to ride.
2) The occasional individual willing to give me a hand on some minor restoration (show me how to rebuild carbs, etc.)

What do I offer? Like I said, I'm willing to trade in skill. I can't afford to purchase the materials, but I will most certainly be willing to offer my time. I have experience using a variety of different paints, and can even do a damn good job with the new color-morph paints; if you need proof, my Monte Carlo is sitting outside and the refinished interior and under-hood accenting will testify.

So... any takers?

Thanks, folks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Will Paint for Food... 13 Apr 2006 18:33 #39320

• btchalice
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
if you were in wichita or at least close id help for free
Terry Meyer / Wichita KS
76 kz900 w/1000 motor TWZTD
I am not driving too fast, I'm flying too low.

Will Paint for Food... 13 Apr 2006 19:09 #39333

• OldManSaul
  • User
LOL, well, I do appreciate the sentiment... Thanks!

Will Paint for Food... 15 Apr 2006 06:25 #39669

• heartless
  • User
well, figures - too far away here too! :P

for learning to ride - check with your local community college or tech school to see if they offer the MSF beginners rider course - WELL worth the cost of taking the class. they teach you what you need to know to ride safely. usually not too much cost wise..
if not available at a local school, check with the various motorcycle dealers in your area - sometimes they will have the classes as well, but usually charge more than the community college/tech schools do.

Would be checking fast too as any classes offered usually fill up fast.

now - for getting some painting work done....got a couple of bikes that could stand a fresh paint job - lets talk cost. tank and side covers, already prepped....ball park figure??

Will Paint for Food... 15 Apr 2006 11:40 #39704

• OldManSaul
  • User
Honestly, good prep-work is what I consider the hardest - and therefore most expensive - part of the process. For cost, a tank and two sidecovers I'd be willing to do for $100 even, not including materials; that, of course, depends on what you want.

And thanks for the suggestions about learning - I've looked into the community colleges, but they're booked until September. I might throw in the money and take a course at one of the local dealers.

Nice bike, by the way.

Will Paint for Food... 20 Apr 2006 05:22 #41050

• heartless
  • User
those classes do fill up fast, i got lucky when i signed up for mine - enrollment had only been open for a couple of days. still had to wait for the class tho - enrolled in march, class i got into was in July! :P

100 bucks + materials doesnt sound too bad at all. just out of curiosity, how are you with metal flake paints?? I do know they are harder to work with, but i cant help it, i like them! (and i wouldnt have a problem with paying a little more for it)

thanks for the comment on the bike, it doesnt look too shabby from a distance, but up close, she is gonna need some paint - bottom edges of the tank are flaking, side covers are mismatched - one is black, the other a dark maroon...almost a black cherry color, dont really notice the color difference unless the light is hitting it just right. i know they are differnt tho. I do have some plans for it, but have to get her running right first (having some carb - and cash - issues right now, but that is changing now that I am working again)

good luck with finding a class, they are worth it!

Will Paint for Food... 20 Apr 2006 09:55 #41126

• KL250
  • User
when i took the class they were all filled up into sept. So i just showed up in case there were any no shows, and of course there were so i got in. you might try that. In illinois if you take the class ( and are over 18) you don't have to take the ride test you just go and show them your card and they give you your licesnse. I also get a 15% insurance discount for it as well. I think if they'd give me the same discount for deans list as they do for cars my mcy insurance would be free it's only like $45 a year now.

Will Paint for Food... 20 Apr 2006 11:09 #41138

• OldManSaul
  • User
Thanks for the advice. Just on a whim, I called the community college that handles the area's MSF courses and they had an opening for the weekend of May 12th. I took it of course, so I shall hopefully have the license soon. In VA, the MSF course counts as the road test portion of the licensing exam and I've already passed the written portion. Score!

And metal flake... it does look nice. I'm a huge fan. And it can be tricky, but under the right conditions, not too difficult. The key to getting it right is:

1) Quality prep work. This includes a decent coat or two of pro-adhesion primer.

2) Patience. I find that several (like 10) very light coats will always work better than 5 slightly thicker ones, especially if you're using something like metal flake or colormorph. Of course, that means you'll have to wait longer for the finished product, but - this is your baby you're talking about, right?

Will Paint for Food... 21 Apr 2006 10:20 #41427

• storysunfolding
  • User
1975 kz 400 eh? That's a fun little bike. I had two of them, one running and one not so running. Just finished selling them off, but they were a fun little bike.

I'm in falls church and could definately give you a hand if you wouldn't mind giving me a few pointers on painting. I have everything I need but experience.

PM me to let me know

Will Paint for Food... 21 Apr 2006 11:02 #41438

• OldManSaul
  • User
Yeah... the bike... so I ended up not getting it. The advertisment was a bit misleading and the owner ended up trying to give me a "Box-O-Parts" than had either been taken off or fallen from the bike over the course of the past 2 years. And that was the condition of those items not physically attached...

So, I'm still looking. But, I am signed up for the MSF course early next month and still in the hunt for a nice bike in the VA area. And as far as advice goes, I can definitely offer up what I have - just holler!

Will Paint for Food... 21 Apr 2006 14:13 #41481

• storysunfolding
  • User
That might have been my bike... You're the guy who showed up with the uhaul pickup without a ramp or anyway to get the bike into the truck bed? Then you walked off with the key?

I don't know if that was mine or not but I had a box of parts that had a brand new reg/rec, new sprockets, new chain, air/ oil filters and a shop manual, the old air intakes, 3'' piping to make new air intakes (instructions via this site) and a carb rebuild kit in it.

My bike had new tires, new battery, rebuilt engine and very minor rust, but the seat and paint looked like hell. Familiar?

I did get the key back in the mail yesterday and gave it to the new owner who spent the afternoon at my place putting everything on before driving it home.

Looked like a fun little scoot- I hate moving...

• Page: