Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Rust in hard to reach places 30 Mar 2006 22:01 #35645

• Sickboy
  • Sickboy's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Any one have any suggestions for getting rust off of hard to reach places? I'm trying to clean up the rear springs and the exhaust headers on my new ride, and those are the only places where it's really noticable. I'd love to be able to take it apart and do it right, but I don't have the space to do that right now.

Any ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Rust in hard to reach places 30 Mar 2006 22:08 #35647

• wireman
  • Visitor
get yourself a couple toothbrushes and some soft rags.get some chrome polish and work it around the springs as much as possible use the toothbrush for scrubbing the rough stuff wrap a rag through the coils on the springs to clean the inside.make sure you put a couple good coats of wax on there to keep rust from coming back. ;) goodluck,happy wrenching!

Rust in hard to reach places 30 Mar 2006 22:10 #35648

• Sandy
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
  • Thank you received: 13
Scotchbrite pads and some metal polish/cleaner.The pads will get into tight spots,and You can fold them in half or cut long strips to get in between the spring coils,and slide back and forth with it...and they hold the cleaner too.Try wrapping a long thin strip of a scotchbrite pad in between a coil and pull it out on the top side of the same coil and slowly(so the pad doesn't rip) push and pull the pad...it'll get in there and get the ugly rust off...the INSIDE of the coil.If the pad won't fit in there,then find some leather strips.I just did all of my spokes on My front wheel,and it worked like a hot dam!...like chrome.
Your coils will be a little different,but well worth trying this.B)
1977 KZ1000 A-1

Rust in hard to reach places 30 Mar 2006 22:23 #35652

• Sandy
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
  • Thank you received: 13
And YA...what Wireman said too.The wax IS a good idea...for sure!...Anything,for that matter...silicone spray...WD40...anything to keep a protective coating on it,or You'll be back in there sooner than You want to be.B) Apply something everytime You wash the bike.
Hey...it's metal...not plastic...needs upkeep.LOL
1977 KZ1000 A-1

Rust in hard to reach places 01 Apr 2006 10:07 #35954

• Sickboy
  • Sickboy's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks for all the good advice guys. Picked up the scotchbrite pads today. Any recommendations on a chrome polish?

I'll take metal over plastic any day, but rust drives me nuts!

• Page: