• Page:

TOPIC:

Another Bondo Thread (TANK) 18 Mar 2006 10:20 #32212

• ran429
  • ran429's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Master of FREE rides!
  • Thank you received: 2
I was just thinking, I am having problems matching up the filler on top of the tank where it will be most noticable, what I was wondering is How or what is the best echnique to get the round contour over the whole top?
I was thinking of using a Mesh sandpaper that I use on plumbing pipe thats 2" wide and comes in a roll. Then i can cut off a long chunk and go side to side to get my rounded contour correct again.

How do you prepare your tanks that have been doinked and beaten, dented or whatnot?

I should use a softer filler this round, but I cant afford it right now.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Another Bondo Thread (TANK) 18 Mar 2006 11:42 #32223

• wireman
  • Visitor
how about a long flat flexable piece of rubber with sandpaper wrapped around it? ;) goodluck,happy sanding!

Another Bondo Thread (TANK) 18 Mar 2006 12:14 #32231

• Mark Wing
  • User
  • Thank you received: 22
A paint mixing stick works good as a sanding block. It's long and flat but still flexible.
Mark
Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

Another Bondo Thread (TANK) 18 Mar 2006 13:17 #32247

• mykznme
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
use a pin style contour gauge. completly cover the top of the tank and sand it with a block. use the gauge to compare contours between each side.

R.I.P. Odd Ivar
Attachments:

Another Bondo Thread (TANK) 18 Mar 2006 20:13 #32391

• dan76kz900
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I think to get the best results, you will want to remove ALL the old body work. Then, use regular body filler to get big dents out, then a coat to cover the whole tank with polyester body filler - this stuff sands so nicely and smooth ! You only need a very thin coat of this. It's about $15 a bottle - maybe 1 quart worth and is more than enough to do your tank. I would use a 3M rubber sanding block first, then a flexable block. A paint stick works good too.. Use some guide coat to help. I'd start off with 36/40 grit on regular bondo, finish that off with 80 grit, then move on to 150/180 with the polyester filler. Primer that, guide coat it and sand with 220/240, guide coat it again and sand with 320, guide coat again and wet sand with 600 grit, then paint it. Good luck, it takes pratice and patence to get it right.

• Page: