Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

77 KAW 650 MOD 09 Mar 2006 22:24 #29772

• MattBlack
  • MattBlack's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
First of all, hey to everyone. This is a new forum for me. I posted this on another KAW forum and got some good feedback, but I've been referred here so here I am. :)

I thought I'd through this out there as a starter so some of you guys could give me some feedback, possible issues, questions, etc etc on what i plan on doing with this KAW 650. I have read through some threads and know that there are a lot of guys who consider what I'm doign a no-no, but the bike I'm buying is in pretty hard cosmetic shape, so I'm using it as a testing grounds for some new ideas.

I'm suppose to pick it up this week. (Getting it for next to nothing.) It's street worthy, but in hard esthetic shape. Tank for instance was obviously painted with a brsuh last time it saw paint. But that's how I wanted it. Something I could get my hands dirty on and experiment with and not feel too bad if it didn't work out as I intended.

Anyhow, here's hwo it sits now, I'm sure you're all familiar.

And here are my plans. I did a quick photochop of it first to give me an idea of how it might look. Don't mind the tank flames and stuff, I'm just messing around right now to help give myself a game plan when I start hacking this weekend.

So here's the list of possibilities and maybe you fab experienced guys can chime in with some suggestions/comments and possible issues I might run into.

The quick list:
- Remove or shorten front fender
- Replace rear fender with a custom shorty fender and more appealing to the shape of the bike. Or at least for the look I'm after.
- Small LED tailight assembly - signals optional
- Single double spring pan seat.
- Custom headlight - possibly double round 4"ers.
- Mirrors will be bar end mirrors. Not 100% on that yet.
- Paint will be almost certainly a satin black. Flames are optional. And you may recognize that I ripped that particular flame job off of an Exile Cycle tank. -- I admittedly just love their bikes overall.
- My wheels are alrady spoked, but I may go black powdercoat on those.
- I'm not sure what to do about the pipes yet? Maybe someone could direct me to some options for those. Either way I plan on wrapping them in black heat wrap as far as the flare if I stay with these. Just will keep me from having to have them rechromed.

I'm trying to save money where I can and I'm not looking for a show quality bike, just a quality looking garage chop that'll hold it's own. I plan on driving it, not just looking at it.

Anyhow, again, thanks in advance ot the responses.. I look forward to your input.

i.e. stuff like how much wider can I go with the rubber on those wheels?
- Is there a way to drop the bike down an inch or so cheaply, but safe. Etc Etc.
- Where's a good place to source the solo seat. And I'm talking basic black leather, not a hand tooled photo etched in leather that costs $500. :)

Cheers
MB

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

77 KAW 650 MOD 09 Mar 2006 23:36 #29776

• Mark Wing
  • User
  • Thank you received: 22
Welcome to KZR, I like the way your going. Should look cool. You'll have to do some welding after you cut away some of the frame to make the short rear fender work.
Mark
Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

77 KAW 650 MOD 10 Mar 2006 02:57 #29788

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
old school bobber puts front fender on rear, reversed, front to back. IMO this look really good with skinny rear tire on similar to front sized wheel.

saddle? how about a "fat ass" bicycle saddle? no need to mod springs if you're keeping shocks.

tail-light? bullet style from 59 cadillac or maybe round from impala, willys, or ???

I like the single big round headlamp. for duals...there was a post in one of the forums on chopperunderground who made a nice looking dual with some autoparts store exhaust tips.
I like lots of light, spread far and wide so wouldn't consider uhless not riding at night or I could find lamps with the right pattern.

-Duck

77 KAW 650 MOD 10 Mar 2006 06:23 #29822

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 376
Welcome to KZR MB. Like I mentioned over there (KMF), nice ideas.

Have you seen this post MadKaw Bobber ? Similar ideas as what you have.

Post edited by: rstnick, at: 2006/03/10 09:23
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

77 KAW 650 MOD 10 Mar 2006 07:38 #29838

• MattBlack
  • User
Thanks for the posts guys. Hey rstnick, thanks for hooking me up with that link. That's a pretty cool step by step there. His bike is in a lot better shape from the start that mine is though. :) That's why I don't mine hacking on mine.

He's had some of the same ideas though for sure. I'm going to go with a true single seat pan though and weld up some new mounting hardware for it rather than try to make the stock seat work. Gonna keep the front brakes too - for now at least.

I like the drag bar idea. Something I didn't do on the photochop.

Hey Duck, thanks for some of those suggestions too. I'm buying it from a guy who owns a motorcycle scrap yard, so I shouldn't have any problems finding the donor parts I need.

Anyhow, thanks all. B)

Say it ain't so !! 10 Mar 2006 19:13 #29992

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
Is that really a picture of the bike you're about to cut up? You mention trying to avoid rechroming the exhaust; but if that's the actual bike, the exhaust system looks good (as does the whole bike). Is the chrome on the exhaust shot? If not, you may want to remove the stock system and sell it, in good shape it's a pretty pricey item. You can always find a 4-1 pipe that might better match the look you're trying to achieve. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Say it ain't so !! 10 Mar 2006 22:09 #30028

• MattBlack
  • User
650ed wrote:

Is that really a picture of the bike you're about to cut up? You mention trying to avoid rechroming the exhaust; but if that's the actual bike, the exhaust system looks good (as does the whole bike). Is the chrome on the exhaust shot? If not, you may want to remove the stock system and sell it, in good shape it's a pretty pricey item. You can always find a 4-1 pipe that might better match the look you're trying to achieve. Ed

Hey there Ed, thanks for the reply. To answer your question, no, that's not the bike I'm going to chop. That's just a pic of one I found online that allowed me to do a photoshop mockup on. The bike I'm getting is black and the paint look slike it was applied with a brush. :) It's not beat up, but the last owner didn't seem to concerned abuot asthetics. It was outside covered with snow when I looked at it and I'm going tomorrow to do the close up check over. The guy is changing all the fluids in it and getting it all running right before he sells it to me. The exhaust as I remember isn't mint by any stretch so I may get the pipes powdercoated if they're still in good shape, but if they're rusted too bad I may replace them... maybe with what you suggested as a 4-1. Either way I'll have a better idea once I get it home and start stripping it down.

MB

Say it ain't so !! 11 Mar 2006 18:46 #30190

• jarhead
  • User
Matt, are you from Chicago? Chivinmoto?

Say it ain't so !! 11 Mar 2006 19:25 #30209

• MattBlack
  • User
jarhead wrote:

Matt, are you from Chicago? Chivinmoto?

No, sorry man, I'm from Alberta Canada.

----update----
Just picked up the bike today. It runs like a top, but the body work has seen better days. We've got a cold snap here so it's parked on my deck right now until the snow clears and until I can get some room in my garage clear to start chopping this puppy. I'll post up some before shots and some progress shots as they come.

Thanks for the input everyone. As I mentioned, all Ideas and suggestions/tips are welcome.

Cheers
MB

Say it ain't so !! 11 Mar 2006 19:48 #30215

• NOS
  • User
Cool ideas!!! I got one for ya
As far as seats go, have you ever thought of making your own seat from scratch?
If you ar looking to go this route, then you should try checking these links for ideas. This is a link to making a fiberglass seat pan

www.jeffreyphipps.com/seat_pans.htm

and here is one for covering your pan with all the goodies

www.bikernet.com/news/newsarch.asp?article=053103

Even though they are using a metal seat pan the same rules apply.

Hope this helps, and keep choppin'

77 KAW 650 MOD 11 Mar 2006 20:40 #30227

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
  • Thank you received: 29
Welcome to KZr, MB.

That 2nd pic with the bike bobbed looks pretty cool.
That particular style sure is regaining a lot of popularity recently. B)

Like was mentioned about the exhaust system, you might want to consider the same on the rest of the parts as you remove them. In fact, if you're planning on ditching the rear "duck bill" shaped fender, I'd be interested in buying it from you. :)
Most 650 parts are fairly plentiful on eBay, but body parts in any condition don't show up there that often.
Not to mention, selling off whatever parts you don't need (and that aren't completely trashed or rusted to badly) could help fund your bobber project.

I bought a '77 KZ650C as a rolling chassis (the engine was handed to me disassembled and in milk crates :ohmy: ) about 2 years ago for $40.
I kept the cast mag wheels, the oil cooler, the swingarm, and both complete front and rear brake systems. I gave the frame to another member here, then sold the rest (minus any engine parts) on eBay and pocketed almost $700 total! B)

Post edited by: RetroRiceRocketRider, at: 2006/03/11 23:41
Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

• Page: