TOPIC:

Bondo or spot putty 01 Feb 2006 10:48 #20914

• Sixgun
  • Sixgun's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello all,

Had a question regarding fillers.
I'm trying to even out my tank before repainting and a guy I work with recomended spot putty. I don't want to strip the tank down to steel and I'm attempting to even out some areas in the finish where the previous owner spilled brake fluid on it. Not pretty.

The fluid ate the clear coat and paint in areas and I just wanted to even those out. I've been working on sanding the areas down, but I'm not getting very good results so far. Would bondo or spot putty work?

Thanks for the help and advice.
78 KZ750 B3
81 XS650SH
80 XS650G

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bondo or spot putty 01 Feb 2006 11:17 #20923

• peachc
  • User
When using Spot Putty or Bondo, for best results, you would have to take the tank around the area affected down to the bare medal. Usually for best results about 2 to 3 inches around the area. Especially if there is no dents, there would be no real reason to use bondo or spot putty. The best results would be to prep the entire tank and just re-primer/pain the entire thing for the best results. Hope this helps.

Bondo or spot putty 01 Feb 2006 11:27 #20926

• peachc
  • User
When using Spot Putty or Bondo, for best results, you would have to take the tank around the area affected down to the bare medal. Usually for best results about 2 to 3 inches around the area. Especially if there is no dents, there would be no real reason to use bondo or spot putty. The best results would be to prep the entire tank and just re-primer/pain the entire thing for the best results. Hope this helps.

• Page: