Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

G.S.1100 swingarm conv. 23 Sep 2006 12:30 #78968

• Mr.T
  • Mr.T's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
82/83 G.s.1100 swingarm conversion on KZ1000., whats the biggest tire anyone has made work with these. working on getting the chain moved over with 5/8 offset sproket.,now wondering how big of a tire will work with this swing arm,and how wide of a rim. thanks T

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

G.S.1100 swingarm conv. 23 Sep 2006 14:45 #78996

• donthekawguy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
I think a 180 is as big as you can go. I don't think you need an offset sprocket for that tire. I'm not sure but I am sure someone will know for sure. :laugh:
Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

G.S.1100 swingarm conv. 23 Sep 2006 15:07 #78998

• BohicaBob
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 35
I considered putting a 180 mm X 17" rear tire on my '73 Z1-900 with a '82 GS1100 swingarm. But I stuck with an Avon 160 X 17" rear tire that's actually 166 mm wide. I did not use an offset countershaft sprocket. But I had to use offset spacers (1.25 mm) on the countershaft sprocket and on the rear sprocket. See my link to this project for some pictures. My rear wheel is centered in my '82 GS1100 swingarm by the way.

To fit a 180 X 17" rear tire, I would have had to use an offset sprocket (10 mm) and an offset spacer (10 mm) on the rear sprocket (which I have by the way). With this setup, the chain will come very close to the frame and I would have had to cut some of the bottom stud/bolt that supports the stock left footpeg to clear the chain. You would have had to cut away the inside of the countershaft cover to clear the countershaft sprocket and chain. Also, I would have had to use a somewhat longer chain in order to have the 180 mm tire clear the front of the GS1100 swingarm. Hope this helps give you an idea of what's involved.

G.S.1100 swingarm conv. 23 Sep 2006 21:58 #79111

• Mr.T
  • Mr.T's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks for the reply guys,and some sweet bikes you got there as well. I have the swingarm on already with a 150/16 tire., and its very close to the chain. I have a 5,8 offset sproket,and will be getting a rear spacer soon. then i'll need to figure out witch tire will work. was hoping someone has done this so i would'nt be guessing (or wasting money) on witch tire to use. I dont mind modifing,or cuttin stuff up to make it work.to me most of the fun,is the challange trying to reach the vision. With a 250 tire chopper sitting next to her,the kawi needs more tire. So on my quest i continue., and if i can ever figure out how to make this pic thing work,i'll put some up and share with you guys. thanks t.

• Page: