Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

rear tire size recommendations-KZ1000 ST (1979) 21 Sep 2006 19:55 #78628

• Bob_79KZ
  • Bob_79KZ's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I just got a totally stock 1979 Kawasaki KZ 1000 ST. The rear rim is made by enkei and the size reads: "J17 X MT 2.50" tubeless. Anyone know what would be the best all around street/touring tire for this bike? I'd like to find something thats close to the stock size.
The front tire is a Dunlop '491' MM 90-19 61H which looks to be near new. The back tire is bald!

My main problem is I don't understand the metric tire sizes. It calls for a 4.50 x 17 but they don't make that size anymore.

Thanks for looking...
Bob

Post edited by: Bob_79KZ, at: 2006/09/21 23:04

Post edited by: Bob_79KZ, at: 2006/09/21 23:06

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

rear tire size recommendations 21 Sep 2006 20:00 #78633

• wireman
  • Visitor
maybe find a 130 to match the front;)

rear tire size recommendations 22 Sep 2006 17:17 #78821

• high toned son of a bitch
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I put a 140/70 on my bike. It is a directional tire, looks pretty sweet. I wanted a smaller tire to give me more room inbetween the tire and the bike, because of the monoshock conversion.

rear tire size recommendations 22 Sep 2006 18:29 #78841

• Bob_79KZ
  • User
High toned sob: I can't imagine how you installed a mono shock setup on a KZ 1000 shafty. What brand of tire and I thought they were all directional.

I was thinking 130/90 but you say 140/70 is smaller?
I figured a 140 is bigger than a 130. I just can't figure this metric stuff out.

Thanks for the reply..
Bob_79KZ

rear tire size recommendations 23 Sep 2006 07:24 #78923

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 238
A 130/90-17 should be a good size. A 130/70 or 140/70 would be too low profile it would seem to me. The 90 profile more or less is the stock fitment.
321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

rear tire size recommendations 23 Sep 2006 13:28 #78982

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
I have a project 79 KZ1000E1 and used Dunlop 404s front and back. The rear is a 130/90-17.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

rear tire size recommendations 23 Sep 2006 19:06 #79055

• Bob_79KZ
  • User
Here's how my 79 KZ cyl is mounted to frame under right side cover. Hope that helps.
Bob
Attachments:

rear tire size recommendations 23 Sep 2006 19:29 #79061

• Fossil
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
I'm very happy with the Battlax BT45s, front and rear, actually I'm on my second rear. Braking, cornering, straight line stability, rain etc, superior to the Avons Road Runners and Dunlops K81s I was used to on the Brit bikes. I have a 140/80 17 on the rear, the original was a 130/80. You can go up a size without noticing any change in handling.

rear tire size recommendations 23 Sep 2006 19:51 #79071

• Bob_79KZ
  • User
To all who replied...thanks alot. I think I see a trend here and it appears that a 130/90 rear tire would do the job for me.
Is it okay to mix brands? Dunlop on front...Cheng Shin on the rear? Bridgestone?
Thanks again...now if I could only find a rear brake rotor I'd be set.

Bob_79KZ

rear tire size recommendations 23 Sep 2006 20:19 #79081

• Fossil
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
I would have to recommend not cheaping out on tires, they're you're only contact with the road (or, the only contact you want with the road!). Spitfires and Cheng Shins are cheap for a reason, there's also a reason why Pirellis are expensive. In between there are tires that will do the job safely for a reasonable price without having to pay for that Metzeler magic.

rear tire size recommendations 25 Sep 2006 06:08 #79404

• wiredgeorge
  • User
Bob, that pic doesn't help a bit... my master cylinder is different. Mine has the master cylinder connected to the hard metal body by a rubber hose like the one in this pic sent in by KZ_Reeder. The metal part mounts fine but the plastic cup doesn't have a place or way to mount. I suspect I will fab a bracket and bolt it to the battery box.
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!
Attachments:

rear tire size recommendations 25 Sep 2006 06:14 #79405

• wiredgeorge
  • User
Most tire manufacturers recommend not mis-matching tires with different treads. I have done it in the past and not noticed any problems. I use Cheng Shin tires on my carb test bikes... Hi-Max works best... decent grip, decent wet weather performance and most important to me, decent tread life. I went with the Dunlop 404s which are a tad more expensive than the Cheng Shin Hi-Max tires on my project ST because of the load rating... the ST is a heavier bike. Personally, I have tried dozens of types of tires on my bikes and my favorites are Avon Venom X series and Dunlop 491s. The 404s have tread similar to the 491s and are used as OEM on heavy cruisers like Vulcans. The only downside is that owners complain of tread whine... I thought I would try them as they are far less expensive than the 491s. A few years ago I commuted on a KZ900 and used Cheng Shin Hi-Max tires and was pretty happy with their performance and price. I have tried other types of Cheng Shin tires and wasn't happy with any of them... their 6-ply didn't last long (was a numbered tire), their Barracuda rear tires lasted less than 2K miles, etc. The Hi-Max is the only one I have found that holds up decently especially on the rear.

EDITORIAL NOTE: Most folks talk about tires the same way they talk about their pets... their's is the best, the smartest, the cutest, etc. Asking opinions on tire brands is sort of opening up a can of worms... everyone uses tires so everyone will have an opinion. I have noticed that most any tire will work decently but owner's goals are different so some will love one tire and another will hate it.

On a touring bike, the normal goals are
1. tread life
2. performance
3. cost

On a commuter bike:
1. cost
2. tread life
3. performance

On a sporty bike:
1. performance
2. cost
3. tread life

No wonder there is no concensus on tires as a KZ can be used for any of the three bike categories. Now, why not ask which oil is best as a second question hehe

Post edited by: wiredgeorge, at: 2006/09/25 09:18
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Page: