Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

offset sproket /tire question 12 Sep 2006 17:06 #76192

• Mr.T
  • Mr.T's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
New guy here. first let me say hi to everyone. great site, lots of good imformative people here. so i thought i'd join and try to figure out how to use this comp thing. i can cut,weld,machine,polish,and do many things with my hands.,but this comp will get the best of me. anyway back to topic. my 1st question. i have a 77 1000 and was wondering if anyone has used a 5/8 offset sproket,and does it fit under the stock sproket housing,or does it need some kind of modifacation. next does the chain clear the frame o.k. next question i'm running a g.s.1100 swingarm, once i get the chain moved over. how big of a tire could i stuff on there.,and what width rim shoud i use. i'm thinking if it will work, i'd like to get a 180 or 190 tire on there. thanks in advance for your help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

offset sproket /tire question 13 Sep 2006 05:53 #76327

• FastKaw1
  • User
Mr.T
I think a 180 tire will fit.
5/8 off set sprocket needs a bearing support. (all ways)
In my opinion. Im sure some will argue that statement that there prerogative.
All you need is a little to much traction and you will pull the out put shaft
out of place. That means new Trans, new Bearing, new Case Haves.
I FOUND OUT THE HARD WAY.................
As for the chain rubbing? It will be very very CLOSE, some may rub just
a little, others will just clear. Switch to a 530 chain and you will be fine.

Good luck

ps you should also change the rear upper motor mont too.
stock ones bend much to easily with big tire traction.
Im sure someone here has a plan for one.
I have some but they do not have the battery box mount.
:evil:

offset sproket /tire question 13 Sep 2006 15:03 #76511

• Mr.T
  • User
Thank's fast kaw. i'm looking for big tire look,not so much for traction. my racing day's are over. just want to cruise now, and sometimes take advantage of the freeway onramp's. the bike is stock with 29mm smothbore's,V/H header,and dyna ign. no race bike but still fun. my problem is.,sitting next to it in the garage.(and i say this quietly around here.)is my V-Twin Chopper with a 250 tire. when i look at the two side by side,the kaw need's more tude. i have a 150/16 with a G.S.1100 swingarm,and the chain is close. i think i've seen people use this sproket with the stock cover,i'm just not sure if it required any modifacation.,and once i get the chain over,how big of a tire has anyone used with this swingarm. i was hoping someone on here has tryed this combo, and know's what work's. thank's for your reply, and anyone else who might know (please dont hold the V-Twin thing against me LOL)please speak up. thank's again for your help Mr.T

offset sproket /tire question 15 Sep 2006 05:42 #76893

• chadams
  • User
MR T, on my old 1984 gpz11 I used a front spocket off a zz1100 (90-92). It allowed me to fit a 180.

On my motoplast build up, I'm squeezing in a 190 on the rear. a 1000j (81) motor is going in the motoplast, it has the same output spline as the gpz. I'm not sure if the earlier models have the same spline.

Good luck

offset sproket /tire question 15 Sep 2006 07:17 #76910

• mikekz900
  • User
I just went through all of this, If you look on the thread 4 to 6 inch over arm here in the chassis thread. Many people don't like the fact that I kept the fender, but I had to be different. I have a 180 tire on there and the reason I didn't go with a 190 was I was going to have to notch the frame and I didn't want to hack up this bike, but I would on another.

I got the 5/8 offset sprocket from PMFR and I asked him about a support and he was saying that I didn't need one for the 5/8, but that if I stepped up to a 7/8 he would. He said that he had been running in the 8's for years without one. So I'm not trying to start an argument I'm just saying what I heard! I also read that you just plan on cruising with it and you won't be making much power with just a pipe and 29's you just might be ok. But as they say better safe than sorry. I'm going to take my chances.

I also used the stock cover with a lot of cutting. If you would like to see I can take pictures of that and you would know where to go with it. As Fastkaw1 said it will be close, but if you do it right it won't rub I haven't had it rub yet. Oh and I do have a 530 chain.

offset sproket /tire question 15 Sep 2006 16:02 #77027

• Mr.T
  • User
Mikekz. i would love to see pis of how you cut that cover as im going to have to do the same. also could you give me a measurement on tire width.,im planning on running same size rim as you,but my swingarm is a g.s.1100 only 2" longer and i'm not sure about clearence.gotta love these challanges.(my freinds tell me i should leave things alone.,so i got new freinds. LOL.) i checked out your tread.,and your bike is awesome. that is one fine example of what the 70's had to offer, and it looks like its in great hands.keep up the good work, and thanks for your help. Chadams. thanks for reply. i appretiate all input.

• Page: