Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Rear Disc - Heat Question 09 Sep 2006 12:46 #75484

• Mandrake
  • Mandrake's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
This may be a dumb question..... I just changed the rear brake pads on my KZ1000P. Everything seems to work well. I noticed after a short ride today that the disc was very hot. Is this common? The front discs felt slightly warm but not like the rear.

Mandrake

Post edited by: Mandrake, at: 2006/09/09 15:47

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Rear Disc - Heat Question 09 Sep 2006 13:11 #75485

• Mikes82KZ1100
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Sounds like You were using the rear brake more than the front and There are 2 brakes on the front VS one in the rear so even if there were identically equal stopping force at both wheels the two front rotors don't work as hard as the single rear so the rear is going to be hotter.

Post edited by: Mikes82KZ1100, at: 2006/09/09 16:13

Rear Disc - Heat Question 09 Sep 2006 14:23 #75494

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
0)Is it 'normal' heat or was the rotor glowing? If beyond 'normal' heat then...
0.707)If floating caliper, check that it is indeed floating. Was wear on the old pads 'normal'?
1)Spin the wheel and make sure pads are not dragging. Apply brakes hard, release, and spin again. Still not dragging?
2)Change your fluid if you haven't in a while(year if bike lives outdoors). Water collects and when brakes get hot it boils and forces pads against disk which makes more heat and boils more water which makes more heat and boils your fluid. Rotor will glow ;-)
3)If none of the above, ride till they get hot and do '1' again.

Rear Disc - Heat Question 09 Sep 2006 15:29 #75508

• Mandrake
  • Mandrake's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks for the suggestions. It wasn't glowing or even too hot to touch but still pretty hot.

I'll take a closer look. I'm planning on braking the entire bike down over the cold months and changing out fluids, hoses, etc.

Mandrake

Rear Disc - Heat Question 09 Sep 2006 17:47 #75543

• wireman
  • Visitor
Duck wrote:

0)Is it 'normal' heat or was the rotor glowing? If beyond 'normal' heat then...
0.707)If floating caliper, check that it is indeed floating. Was wear on the old pads 'normal'?
1)Spin the wheel and make sure pads are not dragging. Apply brakes hard, release, and spin again. Still not dragging?
2)Change your fluid if you haven't in a while(year if bike lives outdoors). Water collects and when brakes get hot it boils and forces pads against disk which makes more heat and boils more water which makes more heat and boils your fluid. Rotor will glow ;-)
3)If none of the above, ride till they get hot and do '1' again.

what the duck man said;)

• Page: