Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Front Master Cylinder Leak 27 Aug 2006 16:03 #72852

• Robjb84
  • Robjb84's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Since putting superbike bars onto my KZ440, every now and then a teeny bit of brake fluid is seaping out of the corner of the MC box. This being because the KZ440 LTD MC is kind of at an angle to make up for those stupid monkey bars.

Would this be simply because the MC is tilted now, or would it point to a bad seal? Is it an immediate danger to me? Im thinking I probably want to replace it no matter what, but just want to know how safe I am to ride around. So far the brakes seem to be working fine and the leak is more of a seep and doesnt always happen.

Picture again:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Front Master Cylinder Leak 28 Aug 2006 12:55 #72993

• Robjb84
  • User
Just did a little search in the archives but am still kind of confused. I guess my brake line now is leaking right at the master cylinder, so I need to get some new line..

Looking in previous posts I saw people mentioning prices of $100+! Is it seriously that expensive? :o

I called my local kawak dealer and they told me they had no brake line for my bike and it isnt something that can be ordered in... sounds like a bunch of crap to me, but what can I do.

Front Master Cylinder Leak 28 Aug 2006 13:03 #72995

• waterman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Are you sure it isn't just the crush (copper) washer? Monkeying around with the connection at the MC may have just loosened things up.

Also, since you are just running a single front disk, you could put together a single SS line for a whole lot cheaper than $100. Measure your existing line, look on JPCycles for Russell brake lines and see if you can put together a good line for about $50 plus shipping. If your replacing your line, you may as well go with braided SS.

Front Master Cylinder Leak 28 Aug 2006 13:09 #72996

• tganek
  • Visitor
Robjb84 wrote:

I called my local kawak dealer and... sounds like a bunch of crap to me, but what can I do.

Rob, go into Redline. Don't call. Get to know them. It will be to your advantage. They will get you squared away with what ever you need.

Forget about the Kwaka dealer, no clue. EVERYONE goes to Redline. I was having trouble with a rebuilt carb. They listened to me. Without laughing in my face too much. Then looked at the carb and fixed it in about two seconds. No charge. They know old kaws and they know the smaller displacement ones well.

Looks like the master cylinder is at an extreme angle. Can you mount it more level?

Front Master Cylinder Leak 28 Aug 2006 13:17 #72997

• tganek
  • Visitor
Hey Rob, just read the other post.
I swapped the bars out with more of a 900 style bar. Looks a little longer then your superbars. The swap was easy and took 15 minutes. I think 'cause the bars are longer the cable/hose lenghts weren't an issue. The master cylinder sits more level also. I have an extra set of bars you can check out. You can check out the 750 and 1000 in person. If you don't like the bars no loss...

Post edited by: tganek, at: 2006/08/28 16:19

Front Master Cylinder Leak 28 Aug 2006 14:01 #73005

• Robjb84
  • User
Thanks bro, i like my current bars but will certainly take a look at yours. I'll hop over to redline tonight after work and see what they can tell me about brake line.

Yeah the MC is at an angle but thats just how it was built, there is no different way of mounting it. :(

I mean its level along the horizontal plane, just not the vertical.

Front Master Cylinder Leak 29 Aug 2006 16:58 #73283

• WharfRat
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I'm with Todd on this one-that guy at Shoreline(on north Sheridan) is an idiot. All he want's to do is sell you a new bike. The boys at Redline are the only way to fly in Kenosha.
Later-John
Kenosha,WI
1979 KZ 400B2
1980 KZ 750 E1
1979 KZ 650 B3

Front Master Cylinder Leak 30 Aug 2006 13:44 #73460

• apeman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
The M/C on the LTD bikes have a mount that causes the M/C to sit level on the highly angled LTD style bars; problem is that if you switch to a more standard set of bars, the M/C sits at a goofy angle (like yours). What you should do is swap your M/C for one from one of the standard (not LTD) bikes. You need to use one for a single disc front brake system. I bet M/C from the single disc models of the KZ550 or KZ650 would work great.
/
Petaluma and Truckee, CA -- member since Jan. 23, 2003;
PREVIOUS KZs: 1980 KZ750H with 108,000 miles; 1980 KZ750E with 28,000 miles; and KZ750H street/cafe project, all sold a few years back.

This is what I do for fun, not for work. It is art, with a little engineering thrown in.

Front Master Cylinder Leak 30 Aug 2006 14:02 #73464

• Robjb84
  • User
Sweet, so... anyone got a spare MC sitting around..? :D

Front Master Cylinder Leak 30 Aug 2006 14:38 #73468

• tganek
  • Visitor
Robjb84 wrote:

Sweet, so... anyone got a spare MC sitting around..? :D

Only four right now... Keep telling you to come over.:whistle:

If you don't start listening I'm gonna go all wiregeorge on you!

seriouly, Tony the bike guru that drag races RD's will be here tonight helping me strip the 650...B)

Front Master Cylinder Leak 30 Aug 2006 14:42 #73469

• Robjb84
  • User
Oh I dont remember you telling me you had any :D I would love to come over, but I have my kid :/ He's too small to ride passenger :D

Front Master Cylinder Leak 30 Aug 2006 14:46 #73470

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
  • Thank you received: 109
what is the web site for red line?
76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

• Page: