Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Rebuilding 3 calipers on a KZ1000 tonight 17 Aug 2006 11:18 #70279

• floridamba
  • floridamba's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
I'm going to disassemble and clean all 3 calpiers on my 82 KZ1000LTD. I need to put on new brake pads and want to pump out the pistons and clean up any crud inside the calibers.

I'd appreciate any advice and "gotchas" on doing this - it's been quite a few years since I've done it. These are all single-pot brakes with floating calipers.

I bought the LTD used and it had been stored. The PO had put a deep metal preservative on all the metal including rotors and the brake pads absorbed the oil into them, so I have to replace them.

I'd also appreciate any advice on cleaning the discs - I did it once with gasoline, paper towels and q-tips to scrub the oil out of the holes in the discs. I had a fan blowing the fumes away from me all the time...

thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Rebuilding 3 calipers on a KZ1000 tonight 17 Aug 2006 13:08 #70322

• Erie Addict
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Just did this on my 81 LTD 1000. put it away in 1987 and sprayed it with wd 40 every year. Calipers and master cylinders were pretty dirty inside.Cleaned them out thouroughly. Rebuilt all 3 and flushed the systems. went through 2 Qts. of fluid. I cleaned my rotors with a green scotch brite pad and several cans of brake cleaner. Used a tooth brush that i ground down on a bench grinder to get into the holes in the rotor. While you have the wheels off, check and lube the bearings and take a close look at the flexible break lines. I replaced mine with parts from Earls and went with Stainless lines. Once i got the systems bled out and pads seated in, i can darn near launch myself over the bars with the front brakes.
Jeff ay Z1 has all the parts you will need.

Rebuilding 3 calipers on a KZ1000 tonight 18 Aug 2006 01:01 #70521

• donthekawguy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
When you blow the pistons out of the caliper stuff a rag in there and watch your fingers. Don't ask how I learned that trick.
Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

Rebuilding 3 calipers on a KZ1000 tonight 18 Aug 2006 03:34 #70533

• floridamba
  • floridamba's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Thanks for the great tips. I pumped out the front ones and found the PO had rebuilt them - they were clean with great seals and dust covers!!!!

I'm getting some cans of brakeleen tonight after work and soaking those disks good (while avoiding the wheel bearings) and then assembling with new pads.

• Page: