Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

struts vs shocks for drag racing?? 13 Aug 2006 20:20 #69208

• AJCrader
  • AJCrader's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
How much of a difference is there between the 2? being as I am going to make a drag only bike, which is easier to handle going down the track? I also plan to have wheelie bars, does that make a difference?

Also is an extended swing arm beneficial with wheelie bars, or is it not really necessary?

Post edited by: AJCrader, at: 2006/08/13 23:23
AJ
Drag bike, 1220cc Z1R KZ project

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

struts vs shocks for drag racing?? 13 Aug 2006 20:38 #69213

• wireman
  • Visitor
if you are going for a strictly track bike id say go with struts.i definately would not run a wheelie bar without struts.the swingarm depends on how the rest of chassis is set up.are you going to lower bike?rake frame?kind of rear tire?how big are you,got big b@lls?:evil: whats in the motor?etc;)

struts vs shocks for drag racing?? 14 Aug 2006 05:04 #69259

• AJCrader
  • User
Well I weight 190, was gonna lower the bike as much as i could, going to keep the stock rake if possible, motor for now until i get used to it will be a stock kz650, and until i can build something thing faster, and the purpose for now would be to have a bracket bike so consistency is key. as for the rear tire will get a slick on it as soon as i get the rest of the bike ready.

I plan to use it to race in the points series at my local track and am wanting to be competitive now not necessarily fast yet.

also where is the best place to get a push button shifter either air or hyraulic, and which is better?
AJ

struts vs shocks for drag racing?? 14 Aug 2006 17:14 #69431

• RomSpaceKnight
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Struts are the way to go for sure. Air shifters use to be standard shifting technology on the old KZ's. Best bet is look on E-Bay for parts. Try to lower front forks in clamps as much as possible. Run the least amount of air in back tire you can get away with without spinning tire on rim. Go as low as 20 psi. Run only enogh gas to get you down the track and back. Use fresh gas every weekend and plugs at least 3 times during racing season. Lower oil level in bike by a quart. If crank is not splashing thru oil will make more power. If oil to low, clutch will over heat and get grabby. You only have a 2.5 inch rear rim, slicks hard to find that fit that properly. Clutchless shifts can be done easily. Air shifter nice for consistency but not vital. If it is not needed to get bike to end of track don't carry it with you. I took Sawzall to my dragbike first thing.

struts vs shocks for drag racing?? 14 Aug 2006 18:53 #69471

• AJCrader
  • User
Fortunately I know a lot about the physics of drag racing, but the bad part is I don't know too much about bikes...I was thinking about having a gas tank made to hold about 1/2 - 3/4 of a gallon, but i want it to look good, so i'm having a bit of a problem figuring that out...I know about removing weight and all, but what all is safe to remove? I know about the fenders and a lot of the electronics, but you said hacksaw, what is safe to remove? I am in the process of saving up some money to find all the little things like the struts, wheelie bars, and trying to figure out how a lot of the parts work, I'm not a welder or machinist, nor do I have the know how, so making something fit worries me, cause i dunno where to go to get stuff made like shims for a swing arm, or stuff. I am waiting on my manual to come in the mail so i can put some of what i read on here to work.

I appreciate the advice...I just hope I can manage to teach myself all the stuff I don't already have any experience with.
AJ

struts vs shocks for drag racing?? 14 Aug 2006 19:04 #69476

• 77KZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
making a set of struts is as easy as getting 2 pieces of flat bar the right length, and drilling 2 holes in each one the right distance apart:)
07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

struts vs shocks for drag racing?? 14 Aug 2006 19:06 #69477

• AJCrader
  • User
I had read that, but is that reliable? and if so what thickness should I go for to not gain too much weight but make sure it won't fold under pressure
AJ

struts vs shocks for drag racing?? 14 Aug 2006 19:12 #69481

• 77KZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
have a look at this . it should give you some ideas.
07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

struts vs shocks for drag racing?? 14 Aug 2006 19:14 #69482

• RomSpaceKnight
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Remove passenger foot peg brackets, indicator brackets, front headlight, rear fender. If kick starter equipped pitch starter motor ( will need to plug hole in crankcase). If you can figure out electrical schematics pitch alternator and run off battery. Post in Electrical see if any one has a schematic for minimal wiring.

• Page: