Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Pipe Hits - Too Low - Options? PICTURES 14 Aug 2006 08:56 #69312

• JUSTICE114
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
WOOOOOOOWWWAHH!!!! Thats a nice BIKE! No info for you on the pipes, just wanted to say NICE BIKE!!;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Pipe Hits - Too Low - Options? PICTURES 14 Aug 2006 10:29 #69342

• thetemples
  • thetemples's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
You all have convinced me that this bike is a lot nicer than the 'mainstream' sometimes treats it (and what I was convinced it was)... you know, neighbors, friends with crotch rockets, etc. They all think its just an old cheap bike.. I try to tell them that this bike has history... its a vintage classic... and to top it off, its way cool to ride!

I'm looking on cleaning up the front end (maybe some nice after market gauges, mirrors and I even toyed with the idea of a cafe fairing, but not sure how that would look on this particular bike. Any information you all have on good sources for these types of things would be great. Especially a new instrument panel.. something that had the ability to rewire the neutral light and turn signal indicators would be nice, but not a necessity.

I also need to find some spokes for the front end.. these are rusted and its about the only spot on the bike that sticks out as not being painted or polished... I assume I could just buy replacement spokes, but something fancy would be cool, like twisted spokes or something like that.

Pipe Hits - Too Low - Options? PICTURES 14 Aug 2006 11:23 #69348

• RedneckSamurai
  • User
That is a sweet bike, i would try a new set of fork springs, and if is too high then drop the forks thru the triple tree.
1977 KZ650
1976 KZ900ltd
1976 KZ900 A4

Pipe Hits - Too Low - Options? PICTURES 14 Aug 2006 11:54 #69353

• mikekz900
  • User
If you are on the east coast I would call www.eastcoastwheels.com they did an awesome job on my back wheel and I'm going to replace my front spokes soon and will definitely let them do it. Their prices were very good and cheaper than Buchanan. They did just as nice of a job as Buchanan I've had both.

How about some up close pics of the back wheel and brake arm :) Thanks

Mike

Pipe Hits - Too Low - Options? PICTURES 14 Aug 2006 11:59 #69356

• thetemples
  • User
I will take a bunch of pictures tonight when I get home and post those for you. No problem! About how much did it run to have the wheel relaced?

Pipe Hits - Too Low - Options? PICTURES 14 Aug 2006 13:34 #69372

• mikekz900
  • User
Depending on what kind of spokes you want that will determine the cost. If you go to Buchanan's web site look at the cost of the spokes and then I think they charged like 60$ to lace it for me. The spokes can go from 90 to 240. I think mine were like 190 cause I got a stainless diamond spoke. You definetly want to go stainless and get the chrome plated for the front. I used stainless for the back and didn't use the chrome cause they said if your making any kind of power that the chrome can flake so we just polished them. When I do the front I'm going to use the chromed stainless.

Pipe Hits - Too Low - Options? PICTURES 14 Aug 2006 14:09 #69378

• EddieBoy
  • User

ive got that same swingarm somewhere in a box i bought 25 years ago bt its set up for disc brake.if i remember right havent looked at it in years

well...i could sure use a cool arm like that...
anyone know how much fed-ex charges to ship a case of beer?

Pipe Hits - Too Low - Options? PICTURES 14 Aug 2006 15:14 #69400

• thetemples
  • User
mikekz900 wrote:

Hey Chris would mind taking some close up pics of the rear brake the whole thing including the pedal mechanism/ and the way it attaches to the rear wheel. The other pics I would like to see are the spacers and everything associated with making the rear wheel work like sprocket and all that stuff. I'm going through the process right now and I'm very very close after this weekend, but seeing your bike up-close might speed those things up.

Hope these help, if you need explanations, let me know.

Post edited by: thetemples, at: 2006/08/14 18:18

Pipe Hits - Too Low - Options? PICTURES 14 Aug 2006 17:19 #69436

• wireman
  • Visitor
i see yours has an airtank built into it also,those brackets the footpegs are mounted to are definately the shock mounts. ;)

Pipe Hits - Too Low - Options? PICTURES 14 Aug 2006 23:09 #69548

• RomSpaceKnight
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
What about a Hindle Sidewinder (Canadian made).

Pipe Hits - Too Low - Options? PICTURES 15 Aug 2006 06:40 #69574

• solomrus
  • User
that rear brake pedal has been seriously tweeked.

the position of the pivot point has been raised, and moved towards the front of the bike. the right side foot peg has been ground away to clear the pedal.

looks to me like the bike had a sidewinder on it at some point, just from those mods. the pedal will need to be changed again to work with a vance, but one of the other's might clear. as long as it's a sidewinder.

the bonus of that, is that you can go even LOWER when you want to. 8^)

looks great tho, i really like that bike.

--r
198o kz1ooo Bravo Four

Pipe Hits - Too Low - Options? PICTURES 15 Aug 2006 10:14 #69634

• 79MKII
  • User
  • Love Them Kaws!
  • Thank you received: 43
Great looking bike!! If you can find a Star sidewinder street pipe, they hug the side more than the V&H street pipe you have but do not require the mods that the V&H sidewinder does. I have both pipes right now and the Star does give you more clearance underneath. Cornering isn't much better though, and it won't be with the V&H sidewinder either. That's why you see all those drag bike guys just lean their bikes right on the pipe...no side stand needed. I love the low look too but I think it works best when you go straight. Or, keep in mind that 3 lefts make a right! :P
The Kaw List:
Current: 79 KZ1000 A3 MKII, 78 KZ1000 A2, 78 KZ1000 Z1-R, 78 KZ650 SR, 80 KE175
Former: 03 KLX400SR, 99 ZRX1000, 82 KZ750 LTD, 80 KZ1000 A4 MKII, 80 KZ1000 LTD, 78 KZ1000 A2, 74 H-2 750 Triple, 78 KL250