Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

brake problem with clipons 11 Aug 2006 19:55 #68851

• Torch
  • Torch's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I finally got my clipons and got them put on the bike. Besides from having to remove the tach and speedo to mount my brake master cylinger, and now having to have shorter clutch, brake, and throttle lines. Everything went pretty decent with the install.

Now my biggest problem is that i pretty much no longer have front brakes. I can fill the resevoir to the full level with the handle bars at full lock to the left, and then when i straighten them up, it sucks air because of the angle the m/c is on.

Does anyone have a fix for this problem? Or should i just fill the crap out of the resevoir and hope for the best? I have the large rectangular type master cyclinder for dual front discs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

brake problem with clipons 11 Aug 2006 20:12 #68852

• dutchz
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
I would "fill the crap" out of it. You might have to loosen the bolt so you can twist the brake assembly to a more horizontal position when you fill it. Can you post a pic? It might be helpful.
1974 Kawasaki Z1
Stock front hub and rear axle.

brake problem with clipons 11 Aug 2006 20:27 #68854

• Torch
  • User
Heres what i've got at the moment. Not really a good pic of the m/c, but you can see the angle. I think you and I have the same clipon's...the airtech ones. I noticed that you have a round m/c and it looks like yours is shorter from grip to banjo fitting as well.

brake problem with clipons 12 Aug 2006 09:11 #68919

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
  • Thank you received: 29
You could always "upgrade" and use a master cylinder with remote reservoir like what is being used on many of the current sport bikes out there.

I bought one that included the dual stainless steel brake lines off of a '92 ZX10 on eBay for less than $30 shipped. I plan on installing it on my KZ650 when I do my cafe' racer conversion.
Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

brake problem with clipons 13 Aug 2006 11:20 #69118

• Torch
  • User
Hopefully i'll have my problem solved now. Just bought a used master cylinder and brake lever off a '04 Busa. Its not a remote mount resevoir, but the resevoir is angled so that it sits flat with the angle of the clipons. I think its the same size banjo fitting as well, so it should be a direct bolt up. Maybe i'll get an increase in braking power as well.

• Page: