Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

KZ400 questions 04 Aug 2006 19:09 #67199

• Electric Monk
  • Electric Monk's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I recently picked up a '77 KZ400 that's been sitting for a couple of years. As far as I can tell what's wrong with it :

1) The clutch doesn't disengage. Either it's just the cable that needs ajusting, or I'll have to take the clutch apart?

2) The clutch adjuster cover is missing. Is this an oil seal (doesn't seem likely or there would be no oil in it now), or is it just to keep dirt out ?

3) The alternator wiring harness got chewed on by the chain under the front sprocket cover. Is it supposed to take another way out from under the cover ?

4) The bike has the high handlebars from later years. If I want to switch to the standard bars, will the existing clutch & brake cables work, or will they be too long & get in the way ?

5) The wheel spokes have surface rust. It looks like a little scotchbrite & polish will take it off, but how to keep the exposed metal from just rusting again ? Or should I start looking for other wheels ?

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ400 questions 04 Aug 2006 20:32 #67215

• pumps
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Welcome first of all. I myself don't know much about a 400 but try kz400.com for specific stuff. Lots of people here know about them too.And you hafta post pictures of your new ride! There is actually a manual there at kz400 I think.

Post edited by: pumps, at: 2006/08/04 23:34
Check out our site. kcvjmc.org
1977 Yamaha XS650
2000 Kaw W650
2 KZ440 LTDs , a 79 KZ400H and an 83 Belt Drive

KZ400 questions 04 Aug 2006 21:03 #67226

• btchalice
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
on the clutch try holding the lever in with the bike in second or third not running and rock it back and forth it should pop loose
Terry Meyer / Wichita KS
76 kz900 w/1000 motor TWZTD
I am not driving too fast, I'm flying too low.

KZ400 questions 05 Aug 2006 15:29 #67342

• Electric Monk
  • User
Thanks !

That seemed to do it for the clutch - it popped free sometime while I was rolling it to see if the adjustments made any difference. (they didn't)

KZ400 questions 05 Aug 2006 15:43 #67348

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
  • Thank you received: 7

1) The clutch doesn't disengage. Either it's just the cable that needs ajusting, or I'll have to take the clutch apart?

I see you've already got this one worked out. Good.

2) The clutch adjuster cover is missing. Is this an oil seal (doesn't seem likely or there would be no oil in it now), or is it just to keep dirt out ?

It just keeps out the road debris from wrecking the adjuster nut.

3) The alternator wiring harness got chewed on by the chain under the front sprocket cover. Is it supposed to take another way out from under the cover ?

Nope, it's supposed to be tucked neatly into a crevice that makes it's way through that area. It must have come out of it's spot and got chewed.

4) The bike has the high handlebars from later years. If I want to switch to the standard bars, will the existing clutch & brake cables work, or will they be too long & get in the way ?

It depends on how high the bars are, of course, but *maybe*. Typically when people put the apehangers on, they got much longer cables. Also, do you have a disc front brake? Is there a replacement longer brake line on there? that might be a bigger problem that long cables. However, if you're lucky, just some clever re-routing of cables and lines will get you there.

5) The wheel spokes have surface rust. It looks like a little scotchbrite & polish will take it off, but how to keep the exposed metal from just rusting again ? Or should I start looking for other wheels ?

It'll just come back. I had rusty spokes on one of my bikes, and this winter, I cleaned, primed, and painted the spokes black. It's holding up very nicely. Took a while to do though, but I like it. If you *must* have shiney spokes and don't like silver paint or such, you either need new rims (which can be had relatively cheaply on eBay) or new spokes (which are rare and may be hard for you to install).

Post edited by: Biquetoast, at: 2006/08/05 18:45
(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

KZ400 questions 05 Aug 2006 22:06 #67402

• Electric Monk
  • User
Thanks, again!

It depends on how high the bars are, of course, but *maybe*. Typically when people put the apehangers on, they got much longer cables. Also, do you have a disc front brake? Is there a replacement longer brake line on there? that might be a bigger problem that long cables. However, if you're lucky, just some clever re-routing of cables and lines will get you there.

Yeah, if anything is a problem, it's going to be the brake hose. It looks like it will be very close whether it'll work or not, I guess I'll find out which.

It'll just come back. I had rusty spokes on one of my bikes, and this winter, I cleaned, primed, and painted the spokes black. It's holding up very nicely. Took a while to do though, but I like it. If you *must* have shiney spokes and don't like silver paint or such, you either need new rims (which can be had relatively cheaply on eBay) or new spokes (which are rare and may be hard for you to install).

I'm not too worried about the looks, just don't want to have the wheel fall to apart from rust in a couple of years.

• Page: