Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Dangers of low fork oil? 31 Jul 2006 11:38 #66093

• Robjb84
  • Robjb84's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I had posted earlier asking for help changing my fork seals, which ill work on this weekend, but im just wondering: If I ride my bike short distances with the right fork being low on oil, whats the worst that could happen? Is it just going to make my handling turn to crap?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dangers of low fork oil? 31 Jul 2006 12:12 #66102

• ltdrider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 17
The fork uses fluid to dampen out the springs in your tubes. Without the fluid, I think your front end will tend to bounce more on bumpy roads.
Also, your bikes stopping ability will get worse, as most of the stopping power is in the front, and the forks will tend to dive more when you grab the front brake.
'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

Dangers of low fork oil? 31 Jul 2006 12:37 #66109

• lifeliberty
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
yeah, handling will be bad. if it is still leaking, you could get the fork oil on your brake rotor and pads making it hard to stop. to fix you have to clean the rotor an replace your brake pads.

if it were me and the leaking seal was not on the same side as the brake, I'd ride it for a week short distances. I wouldn't push it though.

that is what I would do. all my bikes had leaking seals when I bought them and i rode them around before they were fixed.

Dangers of low fork oil? 31 Jul 2006 13:47 #66138

• Robjb84
  • Robjb84's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Awesome, thanks guys. Well, I guess i will just be taking a chance with the possible reduced stopping distance so i'll take it easy when riding.

• Page: