Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

high speed wobble alright 31 Jul 2006 01:04 #66018

• nads.com
  • nads.com's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
Alright! Im tired of it because its gonna kill me. My 1015 motor will do 110 in third gear, and the damn wobble has had me laying on the tank and holding on to the bars, braking and prayin so many times. Im done. What can i do to stablize the forks, or what bikes can i get a set from? There is a salvalge here in ND that has alot of bikes so.... At the end of the 105 miles i took today i got the bikes shaking pretty bad. I cant have this. And i cant tell you how fast the bike will go cause of this and the fact that the tack is stuck at 11000 and the speedo needle just twisted off and is laying at the bottom of the gauge. The bike rips ass and its not fun when you cant handle it as well as is needed. Any info would be life saving. Because i aam crazy. Crazy to stay alive. Riding this thing is like getting on a brahmas back. I neeed to go faster! Stronger harder faster. Repeat, repeat, repeat. RRRRAAAAHHH!!! Ok, i feel better now. A little. Having trouble writing with this straight jacket on. NURSE! give me another shot of that kz fury. 1015cc's please, oh yeah baby, thats what im talking about... did i ever tell u bout the time.... code red! his head is shaking uncontrollably, he's having visions again of high speed wobble! OH my god. What? Igave him the wrong shot. I gave him 1260cc's of wiseco big block. Oh no. Clear the halls and pad them.

Post edited by: nads.com, at: 2006/07/31 04:07

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

high speed wobble alright 31 Jul 2006 01:37 #66019

• Garn
  • User
  • Thank you received: 13
Nads, the first thing I would look at is the rear swing-arm bearings... Check that there is no play in them. It has been proved that the early Z's reflect this looseness in the swing-arm to a tank-slapping mode.
Next ensure you have taper-roller bearings in the steering head correctly adjusted. I believe these two items are essential to check firstly.

Next check wheel bearings. If this does not improve handling then have a look at a fork-brace. Before fitting the fork brace, check the your front guard is not loose. The front guard is in effect a fork-brace on the early Z's
Lastly try a steering damper!
RegardZ.
1 x 73 Z1 (Jaffa), 74 Z1A, 76 Z900-A4
1 x 73 Yamaha TX500 & 98 fzx250 Zeal
Sydney Australia

high speed wobble alright 31 Jul 2006 01:59 #66020

• nads.com
  • nads.com's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
Excellent! Ill take a look at all those things. I tightened the swing arm last year or longer. Ive never adjusted the bearings in the forks. Never checked the guard. I changed a flat and packed the wheel bearing and they seem good but ill check everythng checkable. Thanks for the reply, this has bothered me for all the years ive had the bike. Time to take some action. Im going to check the alighnment also. Im already confident that this nasty wobble is going to be weeded out. Better start checking on a fork brace too. Couple years ago the fork seals blew from doing wheelies and from age. I just let all the oil seep out until it was gone. I put some air in the forks and it helped the wobble alot. It did the wobble thing before the seals blew anyway, but to get to the point, I just remembered and put air in the forks till they were firm. I thought that i had it going around 130 today and no wobble. Well on a diff. road it started doing it at maybe 115 or so. So its time to check all the possibles. If i cant get it to stop ill have to get better forks or springs, ah hell maybe ill even put the oil back in but thats breaking the rules. That damn oil came out on its own, i didnt tell it to. Why should i put it back in?

high speed wobble alright 31 Jul 2006 05:11 #66029

• ambergrismooon
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 2
Hey Nads! You sound like youre in the same zip code as me. But for one thing. If I'm into 100+ the thing I'm riding on is also 100+. Hope you are joking about conditioning the bike for those space shots. Look at all that was mentioned. Fork & swingarm. Plus tires and fairing if any. Get the oil back into the forks and check wheel alignment. Going fast is easy...well sort of. Going fast in relative safety is smart. Going over 100 is a bear and it's not smart to tease a bear!
Attachments:

high speed wobble alright 31 Jul 2006 06:45 #66042

• vic44139
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Nads....Be careful bro. U got to lower that front end down for those kind of constant speeds. I was at a road race once and saw a guy go into a mad ass wooble at high speed...he left a couple pounds of flesh on the pavment until he slid to a stop...oche! We got to get u some Rytlin till u sort this out...lolol.

Post edited by: vic44139, at: 2006/07/31 09:45

high speed wobble alright 31 Jul 2006 10:14 #66073

• Nevco48
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
vic44139 wrote:

We got to get u some Rytlin till u sort this out...lolol.

:P That's good!:laugh: Maybe he should be "nA.D.D.s"?

high speed wobble alright 31 Jul 2006 11:19 #66088

• wireman
  • Visitor
how about a picture of the mystery machine so we can get a better idea of what we have to work with?:whistle:

high speed wobble alright 31 Jul 2006 13:40 #66133

• pumps
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
I'm far from an expert but maybe check that the tires are not out of balance? Yes we must have pics.
Check out our site. kcvjmc.org
1977 Yamaha XS650
2000 Kaw W650
2 KZ440 LTDs , a 79 KZ400H and an 83 Belt Drive

• Page: