• Page:

TOPIC:

Chain and Sprocket question 30 Jul 2006 14:45 #65909

• SimonTemplar
  • SimonTemplar's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey all,

I'm a newbie, just bought my first bike. Its a '77 KZ750. Working on cleaning it up etc. Anyway I need to replace the chain and while I'm at it figured I should do the sprockets as well.

I was wondering what recomendations you guys could give me. Doesn't have to be stock, just what will fit and what works well in your experience.

thanks for the help :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Chain and Sprocket question 30 Jul 2006 14:55 #65911

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
  • Thank you received: 7
SimonTemplar wrote:

Hey all,

I'm a newbie, just bought my first bike. Its a '77 KZ750. Working on cleaning it up etc. Anyway I need to replace the chain and while I'm at it figured I should do the sprockets as well.

I was wondering what recomendations you guys could give me. Doesn't have to be stock, just what will fit and what works well in your experience.

Welcome!!

Make sure you do some searches, as we've discussed this topic alot.
I'm glad to hear you're replacing the sprockets with the chain - it's almost always a good idea.

I run a 17/38, and the stock is 16/38. I love the 17, and can't imagine using a 16 for more than riding it home the first time. Probably good for wheelies, but not for cruising! ;)

I buy my front sprockets from DennisKirk.com (because they have the ones with the little hole for the lock-washer), but the rest from Z1Enterprises.com (because they're nice, cheap, etc).

If'n you want more info/help, just ask...
Remember, get a manual, do searches, post pics, and enjoy...
Again, welcome!
(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

Chain and Sprocket question 30 Jul 2006 15:31 #65919

• SimonTemplar
  • User
Thanks for the welcome! :)

I'll try and remember to get some pics of the bike next time I work on it. Right now I have it at a friend's house because he has all the tools and such and is helping me get it back into shape.

What chain size should I be looking at?
From what I've seen it looks like 530? but just want to make sure.

Post edited by: SimonTemplar, at: 2006/07/30 18:32

Chain and Sprocket question 30 Jul 2006 15:38 #65920

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
SimonTemplar wrote:

...What chain size should I be looking at?
From what I've seen it looks like 530?

Yep, 530, 106 links I think. If you go with the 17 front, you'll be all the way forward on the adjusters when you first assemble.
Also, if you plan on keeping the bike for a couple years and plan to ride alot, invest in an o-ring or x-ring chain.
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

Chain and Sprocket question 30 Jul 2006 15:43 #65923

• SimonTemplar
  • User
will do :) thanks for the help!

Chain and Sprocket question 30 Jul 2006 15:55 #65927

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
SimonTemplar wrote:

will do :) thanks for the help!

Remember, validate everything I said - don't just trust some drunk idiot on the 'net! :laugh:

I thought of one more thing - be mindful of what kind of connector is on the chain you buy. I prefer the rivet-style, but you can get them with a master-link and you can avoid buying the special rivet tool if you want...
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

Chain and Sprocket question 30 Jul 2006 19:39 #65972

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207

I run a 17/38, and the stock is 16/38. I love the 17, and can't imagine using a 16 for more than riding it home the first time. Probably good for wheelies, but not for cruising!

I figure it will probably take something like a 13/46 to get a 750 twin to wheelie, or maybe a shot of nitrous :laugh: :laugh:
KD9JUR

Chain and Sprocket question 30 Jul 2006 19:42 #65973

• hydrolazer
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
i learned a long time ago the hard way,,,replace the chain and sprockets as a whole unit. an old chain will wear out a new sprocket in a heart beat and visa versa. one unit will be worn and will be riding on the new unit, they will no longer be matched
\'79 kaw 1000 ltd

Chain and Sprocket question 05 Aug 2006 10:14 #67292

• SimonTemplar
  • User
Biquetoast wrote:

SimonTemplar wrote:

Hey all,

Welcome!!

Make sure you do some searches, as we've discussed this topic alot.
I'm glad to hear you're replacing the sprockets with the chain - it's almost always a good idea.

I run a 17/38, and the stock is 16/38. I love the 17, and can't imagine using a 16 for more than riding it home the first time. Probably good for wheelies, but not for cruising! ;)

I buy my front sprockets from DennisKirk.com (because they have the ones with the little hole for the lock-washer), but the rest from Z1Enterprises.com (because they're nice, cheap, etc).

If'n you want more info/help, just ask...
Remember, get a manual, do searches, post pics, and enjoy...
Again, welcome!

Are the sunstar brand sprockets the ones with the little hole for the lock-washer? and is this hole necessary for the sprocket to fit? while the JT ones fit alright??

Chain and Sprocket question 05 Aug 2006 16:09 #67351

• ronjones
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Biquetoast wrote:

I run a 17/38, and the stock is 16/38. I love the 17, and can't imagine using a 16 for more than riding it home the first time. Probably good for wheelies, but not for cruising! ;)quote]

Thanks for the tip, Toast. I'd already bought a 16 front, for my rebuild, I wanted to take a bit of the low end torque and give it a bit more top end but I didn't know what to get. The new 17 has been ordered.
Thanks again :)

waiting and waiting for an oil seal :(

'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

• Page: