Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

axle nut - how to get torqued to spec? 28 Jul 2006 13:46 #65464

• paulie
  • paulie's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
i recently tightened up my chain and relubed.. first time i've done it.

it brought up an interesting question. what are you all doing to get your axle nut torqued to spec? are you dropping the exhaust like i would have to? i dont see any possible way to get a socket on mine with the exhaust on.

right now my axle nut is nice and tight, and has a cotter pin in it, so i'm not really worried that its going to come loose, but i'm nervous enough about it it to thoroughly check it before i ride. the spec is a pretty wide range, and im sure that i'm at least in the ballpark.

what would the side effects be for an axle nut thats too tight? excessive wear on the bearings?

cheers!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

axle nut - how to get torqued to spec? 28 Jul 2006 13:49 #65465

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
  • Thank you received: 7
paulie wrote:

...what would the side effects be for an axle nut thats too tight? excessive wear on the bearings?...

I can't imagine it would stress the bearings. I hope not, I crank mine on like a mother. I had it slide a bit on me once - that was horrible soggy feeling, like a flat. Never again... I'm usually good about torque specs everywhere else, but there...
(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

axle nut - how to get torqued to spec? 28 Jul 2006 13:51 #65466

• paulie
  • paulie's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
hmm ok cool. i cranked on mine pretty good too. but i just want to make sure i'm not gonna foul anything else up by doing so :)

thanks!

axle nut - how to get torqued to spec? 28 Jul 2006 15:09 #65484

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
The only thing that I can think of that might happen if you overtighten it is stripped threads on the axle or axle nut.

I rode a KZ1000 CSR that had a loose axle, every time I applied the rear brake it stepped to the side a bit, no problem but it was noticable :)
KD9JUR

axle nut - how to get torqued to spec? 28 Jul 2006 16:15 #65494

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 237
Yea, just tighten it tight as you can to an available slot to put the kotter pin through. If you strip the nut on the axle, you're one tough guy. I've never heard of one stripping. I think it would take 300 ft/lb to strip. Tightening the rear or front axle to different torque levels has no effect on the bearings at all.
321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• Page: