Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Chain slack adjustment? 26 Jul 2006 18:29 #65000

• kzmarvo
  • kzmarvo's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Adjusting the chain on my 76 900, how much slack should i have in it? Do i messure the slack when it is up on the centerstand? Or should i be sitting on the bike? Right now when on the centerstand the bottum of the chain has about one inch of slack. I noticed that when i push the bike the chain rubs on the centerstand, is this right? I figure i will just take it off when i'm done4 working on the bike.:whistle:
Watch it folks,i have sticky fingers when it comes to a nice looking set of handle bars:)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Chain slack adjustment? 26 Jul 2006 19:16 #65016

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 237
1" of slack is pretty close. If you're not using the stock Kawasaki exhaust system that is where the stopper for the centerstand mounts, God only knows what kind of kluge is doing the stop job for the centerstand. Chances are the stop is your problem.
321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

Chain slack adjustment? 26 Jul 2006 19:20 #65018

• kzmarvo
  • kzmarvo's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
So there is a stopper for the centerstand huh? I have a star open drag pipe on my bike.I plan on taking the centerstand off when i am done working on it. Just really handy having it on there while working.
Watch it folks,i have sticky fingers when it comes to a nice looking set of handle bars:)

Chain slack adjustment? 27 Jul 2006 06:55 #65108

• ltdrider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 17
Measure the chain slack with the bike on the centerstand. The slack is different in different locations on the chain, so spin tire and check it in different spots. Check the play where the chain is the TIGHTEST. It should be 1 - 1 1/4 inches. That's total amount of play (top to bottom) as you pull the chain up and down.
'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

• Page: