• Page:

TOPIC:

Q about removing stock tach? 20 Jul 2006 13:11 #63432

• MattBlack
  • MattBlack's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey guys,

I removed the stock tach and speedo last night and all the warning lights etc.

I have a few options; I either plan on making a small mount for my ignition and keeping it there along with a small custom light plate for oil, brake, neutral etc. (Maybe LEDs if they'll work?)

OR, I'm just going to keep it totally clean up there.

My Question is when I disconnect the stock TACH wire from the engine, is it necessary to cap that hole somehow? Or can it be left open.

Or alternatively, can I run a smaller aftermarket TACH using the same line?

I may run a small speedo + tach combo - not sure yet. Just want to keep everything super clean and hide as many wires as I can.

Al input/opinions welcome.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Q about removing stock tach? 20 Jul 2006 14:14 #63444

• andyman236
  • User
that hole goes into the block and im pretty sure it will leak oil.

Q about removing stock tach? 20 Jul 2006 22:09 #63543

• dutchz
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
That tach is mechanical, just checked my wife has a 77 also... it will spew oil so you will need to cap it if you delete the tach all together. I would keep the tach. To me it's indispensable, both when riding or tuning the bike - it might not be 100% accurate at low revs but it performs the same all the time so it provides a baseline. Also, since I don't have a speedometer, it gives me an idea of how fast I am traveling when I'm on the freeway (5.5K in fifth is too fast :whistle: ). Really I mostly look at the other traffic but on the rare occasions when I'm *almost* alone on our busy highways....

The only other thing you really need is the oil pressure light. Neutral light is luxury to me and brake light well... let me say most people can probably figure that one out...
Too bad your 650 gauge doesn't have the built in brake light like I have on my Z1 tach. I wired my oil pressure light into it and that's just too sweet... deleted everything else B)
1974 Kawasaki Z1
Stock front hub and rear axle.

Q about removing stock tach? 20 Jul 2006 23:06 #63555

• wireman
  • Visitor
i dont need no thinking tach!

:evil: i just listen to pterosaur ,when he starts screaming louder than the motor i know its time to shift!:whistle: :woohoo: :silly: :woohoo: :silly: :P

Post edited by: wireman, at: 2006/07/21 02:10
Attachments:

Q about removing stock tach? 22 Jul 2006 17:39 #63934

• MattBlack
  • MattBlack's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
dutchz wrote:

That tach is mechanical, just checked my wife has a 77 also... it will spew oil so you will need to cap it if you delete the tach all together. I would keep the tach. To me it's indispensable, both when riding or tuning the bike - it might not be 100% accurate at low revs but it performs the same all the time so it provides a baseline. Also, since I don't have a speedometer, it gives me an idea of how fast I am traveling when I'm on the freeway (5.5K in fifth is too fast :whistle: ). Really I mostly look at the other traffic but on the rare occasions when I'm *almost* alone on our busy highways....

The only other thing you really need is the oil pressure light. Neutral light is luxury to me and brake light well... let me say most people can probably figure that one out...
Too bad your 650 gauge doesn't have the built in brake light like I have on my Z1 tach. I wired my oil pressure light into it and that's just too sweet... deleted everything else B)

thanks man.....

are there other mechanical (small) tachs out there that I can use with this bike? Possibly even with the stock line?

Q about removing stock tach? 23 Jul 2006 13:45 #64066

• Werewolfx
  • User
just plug the hole, there was a thread on here or the old forum awhile back about what you can use, and use an electronic pickup tach.
Chris

• Page: