Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Nickel plated copper sealing washers on brake lines - alternatives? 15 Dec 2023 04:59 #892757

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • slmjim+Z1BEBE's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
  • Thank you received: 615
PN 43067-001 (old #) > 49091-0001 (new #).   From what we can determine, the washers are nickel plated copper.

All of the aftermarket copper sealing washers we've found are either bare copper or aluminum.

Anyone have experience or advice on using either bare copper or aluminum sealing washers on brake lines?

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE
A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1972 Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Nickel plated copper sealing washers on brake lines - alternatives? 15 Dec 2023 05:46 #892760

• Wookie58
  • Thank you received: 1816
I have used bare copper crush washers with no issues on brake lines and oil lines. Goodrich supply alloy crush washers for use with alloy fittings
The following user(s) said Thank You: slmjim+Z1BEBE

Nickel plated copper sealing washers on brake lines - alternatives? 15 Dec 2023 07:33 #892761

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2681
Raw copper or aluminum are fine.  Earl's sells them...

Nickel plated copper sealing washers on brake lines - alternatives? 15 Dec 2023 07:37 #892762

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 435
I used Goodridge 10mm copper crush washers last spring when I replaced brake ines. # 445-16-6 pk6 in  the drag spec Fatbook. They seem to work just fine. So far so good. Local bike shop has them in about week. No shipping charge as they are usually getting other stuff also.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

Last edit: by JR.

Nickel plated copper sealing washers on brake lines - alternatives? 15 Dec 2023 09:17 #892764

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1470
I always use plain copper washers and anneal them before use as even new ones are work hardened from the stamping process.
The plated ones are pointless as the annealing removes it anyway.
AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Last edit: by zed1015.

Nickel plated copper sealing washers on brake lines - alternatives? 15 Dec 2023 09:48 #892766

• Cra-z1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 86
Plain copper, I buy them from this source along with other things like their 6mm small head screws. I like them better than the aluminum washers as they seal better with less torque
belmetric.com/washers/solid-copper-gaskets/

Nickel plated copper sealing washers on brake lines - alternatives? 15 Dec 2023 10:09 #892767

• Street Fighter LTD
  • Away
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1973
Copper washers are the way. to go.
You can even stack them like I had to so the  rigid brake fittings cleared my custom triple trees.
They don't leak at all , before that gets asked..

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
Attachments:

Nickel plated copper sealing washers on brake lines - alternatives? 15 Dec 2023 10:47 #892769

• asphalt900
  • User
  • Thank you received: 167
An alternative to OEM that works everytime, have been using them for years. Find a supplier that sells the "bonded" washer for 10mm. I've tried the thinner Yamaha versions, read more pressure over a smaller surface area, but if You have any surface imperfections in either the banjo or splitter/caliper/master even those will weep. I buy in bulk here locally from Tompkins Industries. They outwardly will suffice as a suitable replacement but because of the nature of the bonded rubber internals, You won't have to ham-fist the banjo for a proper seal.

Nickel plated copper sealing washers on brake lines - alternatives? 15 Dec 2023 11:14 #892770

• asphalt900
  • User
And thank-you for You're inquiry, just checked my inventory and realized i was down to only 3 left! Just ordered more. Believe me this a surperior functionional item and waay cheaper then OEM, gotta think outside the box sometimes in a while for efficacy. And Thank-You for Your script thru the years on the VJMC rag, surprised they even have "printed" paper stuff anymore, Ha. If YOU need a sampling of what i'm referring to i'll send you a couple, check them out, fall in love with this concept and your on Your own.

Nickel plated copper sealing washers on brake lines - alternatives? 16 Dec 2023 04:11 #892775

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • slmjim+Z1BEBE's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
  • Thank you received: 615

And thank-you for You're inquiry, just checked my inventory and realized i was down to only 3 left! Just ordered more. Believe me this a surperior functionional item and waay cheaper then OEM, gotta think outside the box sometimes in a while for efficacy. And Thank-You for Your script thru the years on the VJMC rag, surprised they even have "printed" paper stuff anymore, Ha. If YOU need a sampling of what i'm referring to i'll send you a couple, check them out, fall in love with this concept and your on Your own.

Thanks for the kudos re: our VJMC articles.  There's a couple more in the works for next year.

And thanks to everyone who responded about the sealing washers.  Our NOS stash is running low.  Likely we'll only use OEM plated washers on bikes where correct cosmetics are important.  We'll likely try metallic aluminum paint on the outside edge of a few copper washers to see if it hides the copper color effectively.

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE
A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1972 Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

Last edit: by slmjim+Z1BEBE. Reason: Typos

Nickel plated copper sealing washers on brake lines - alternatives? 16 Dec 2023 07:26 #892783

• asphalt900
  • User
Good Luck on the pending articles! I'm not a literary artisan or wordsmith, that's quite an artform. I'd use Mark Bayer, supposedly his new house was built around his library. I see him occasionally and his sister with her Honda Recon. Bill Brown came over once too because i gave him an old Honda 350. 

• Page: