• Page:

TOPIC:

Front end alignment 26 May 2023 17:38 #885244

• Ojisan rider
  • Ojisan rider's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 63
Aloha guys.

Pulled one of my upper tooth out. Took a day-off from work because I know they're gonna work me to death if I go. Anyway, decided to work on my bike today and no matter what I do, I can't get it to align. I posted this once before, and I followed everything that you guys mentioned, but so far no luck.

Is there any secret to align everything? Everything faces the same direction. But everything is off by just the tiny bit. If I make the wheel straight, fender is bit off, and the handlebar/top triple is off by little bit more.  I am still working on the bike so not everything is tight (right now, I'm working on front brake and line. Making my own line from AN hose) so maybe when everything is done, I can correct it?

As of now, I have different fender on, but even I tried it with my original fender (which is in bad shape and bent out of shape), it didn't line up. I'm not too concern about it at this point, but figure I'll ask before I get to that point. BTW, I have 89 ZX-7 but I never had a problem with that bike (Process of rebuilding it too).

Any magic?
82' KZ750-R1 cafe racer style. Clip-on, Rear set, Fork-Brace, Mikuni Flat-slide (forgot the size), Kerker.
84' GPz750 (basket case). everything are in pieces.
89' ZX750-H1 (ZX-7 Ninja). Resurrection project are on going with my KZ750. Everything is stock.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Front end alignment 26 May 2023 18:58 #885251

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1008
Some photos would be helpful.  At this point I can only say what I would do if I had a problem like that.

Are you sure the triple tree is straight and stem bearings are good>. If so then are your fork tubes straight and correctly positioned?  If so, if the fender warped?  Lastly, are the internals in the wheel hub installed correctly?  
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

Front end alignment 27 May 2023 00:11 #885260

• Ojisan rider
  • Sustaining Member
Thanks for the reply hardrock. Everything has been check for straightness and replaced with new parts whenever possible. Wheels have all new bearing and seals, and fork has been rebuilded by me. Triples are original unit, so I'm assuming it's straight (No accident is what I mean). Fender is little bent. That is the only part that's not straight.

I'll try take some photo when I can. I'm not working on the front end for now. I'm going back to electrical so I can start the bike, hopefully soon.
82' KZ750-R1 cafe racer style. Clip-on, Rear set, Fork-Brace, Mikuni Flat-slide (forgot the size), Kerker.
89' ZX750-H1 (ZX-7 Ninja). Resurrection project are on going with my KZ750. Everything is stock.

Front end alignment 28 May 2023 07:30 #885321

• Rick H.
  • User
  • Thank you received: 254
I am a bit confused my your problem, may be I am slow.  What isn't lining up for you?  The fender?  The forks on the axle?  What happens if you install everything BUT the fender?  Do things line up without the fender?  Disregarding the fender for now, what do things look like when everything else is installed?  Are the forks/wheel straight with the handlebars, or are they off one way or another?  When you install the front wheel does the axle appear to lay into the fork legs properly?  Are you absolutely sure the fork legs are straight and true?  How were they checked?  For me if I had this problem I would go back to square one starting with the triple trees.  Install trees in frame and slide the tubes in and watch how they feed into the trees.  They should easily came into place.  It is not unheard of to have a damaged or bent lower leg although not as common as a bent tube.  How were things before you took the front end apart?  Did all seem well and good?  Yes, pictures would be quite helpful.

Rick H.
Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1

Front end alignment 28 May 2023 18:57 #885346

• Street Fighter LTD
  • Away
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1952
Bent fender  =  replace fender to remove the wildcard from the alignment  issue..
To align all front  steering  related parts. 
I was taught  to assemble the front end  and let the front end hang  loose with no weight  on wheel  ( Jack up bike and let  front wheel hang above the ground )
With triple trees loose  square up front end  then tighten all bolts and recheck alignment . 
If you have already done this  , and fender is off  center  then scrap fender 
DD

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
The following user(s) said Thank You: sf4t7

Front end alignment 29 May 2023 06:52 #885351

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
  • Thank you received: 583
Commercial / industrial- length fluorescent tubes 6ft. (good) or 8ft. (better) in length are pretty much guaranteed to be very straight.  One is OK, two is better.  Laid on the floor along each side of the F & R tire(s), it's fairly easy to ascertain F to R alignment by eye or using some sort of measuring scale.

If those lengths are difficult to find, two 4 ft. tubes can be overlapped side-by-side a foot or so & taped together.  This works better using 1in. tubes, as the offset won't be as abrupt.

Just be careful handling & storing.

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE
A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1972 Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

Front end alignment 30 May 2023 23:19 #885452

• Ojisan rider
  • Sustaining Member
Thanks guys for the info. As of now, everything is mocked up but not tightened yet (Bolted up but not final assembly is what I mean). Working on headlight and brakes right now so the whole front end is just the mock up stage right now. So maybe everything will line up once I button up everything.

But right now, let's say I make my tire straight, looking straight ahead, my fender will be looking little to the left, and the bar will look little more to the left. But top triple is not clamp down yet, and axle is just tight enough so that it won't fall down (It's on motorcycle stand with wood under it so front wheel is off the ground) so all these maybe contributing to the alignment issue.

As I mentioned on the second post, I am working on electrical right now, so when that is done, I'll try take some picture(s) to post it up here. Without a garage, setting it up and putting the tool back is a hassle..................Sometimes it takes an hour just to clean up.

Last edit: by Ojisan rider.

Front end alignment 31 May 2023 07:24 #885462

• Mikaw
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1843
The only way the tire can point straight and the bars/clamps to the left is a bent upper stanchion. Unless the axle not seated in the lower is throwing thing off.
1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.

• Page: