Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Chain master link 12 Feb 2021 17:41 #843394

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 512
OK! You have a 550. Your worried about a master link? Are you launching it at a drag strip at 7-9000 rpm's?
A new link? Use a new lock clip any time you take it apart! You have not to worry about anything! Unless your beating the hell out of it!!!
Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Chain master link 12 Feb 2021 22:52 #843402

• cb900f
  • User
  • Thank you received: 30
I prefer the clip style links (which I safety-wire as shown above). The problem with the rivet type , is there's no guide to determining how much to flair the rivet head - which is an issue for an O or X or W ring chain. The last time I replaced the chain on one of my bikes a clip style master was not available for the particular chain I selected so I had to go with a rivet link. I have the tool (and yes, a good one) but I still managed to destroy two master links trying to flair the rivet without destroying the (in this case) W rings. In the old days, these master links would come with a small wire gauge (looked like 1/2 of a 'figure-8' ) which laid on top of the O rings (between the link plates) so that the O rings could not be over compressed. Sadly, I haven't seen one of those gauges in years.

Chain master link 13 Feb 2021 03:35 #843406

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1895

cb900f wrote: I prefer the clip style links (which I safety-wire as shown above). The problem with the rivet type , is there's no guide to determining how much to flair the rivet head - which is an issue for an O or X or W ring chain. The last time I replaced the chain on one of my bikes a clip style master was not available for the particular chain I selected so I had to go with a rivet link. I have the tool (and yes, a good one) but I still managed to destroy two master links trying to flair the rivet without destroying the (in this case) W rings. In the old days, these master links would come with a small wire gauge (looked like 1/2 of a 'figure-8' ) which laid on top of the O rings (between the link plates) so that the O rings could not be over compressed. Sadly, I haven't seen one of those gauges in years.

Regina and Renthal offer rivet master links with a wire gauge.

performancecycle.com/renthal-r3-3-520-o-ring-chain-rivet-link/
performancecycle.com/regina-530-ors2-rivet-master-link-black/

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: BCScott

Last edit: by Scirocco.
  • Page: