Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Steering Stem Bearings: Tools 12 Jul 2006 09:42 #61388

• creamygreen
  • creamygreen's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I ordered my tapered bearing kit for my kz400 from all balls racing ($40 shipped, whoohoo) and I'm planning to do it on my day off next week. What tools will I need? Any special tools, the manual I downloaded mentions a "stem nut wrench".
What kind of grease?

Thanks,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Steering Stem Bearings: Tools 12 Jul 2006 09:48 #61391

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
  • Thank you received: 7
creamygreen wrote:

I ordered my tapered bearing kit for my kz400 from all balls racing ($40 shipped, whoohoo) and I'm planning to do it on my day off next week. What tools will I need? Any special tools, the manual I downloaded mentions a "stem nut wrench".
What kind of grease?

Thanks,

I'll throw a couple words of advice....

Get a hammer, and you might need a length of pipe to beat out the races. Be VARY careful to do it EVENLY! You do not want the race getting sideways on you and denting the column.

You will also need something to get the pressed bearing on the neck. You can use a mammer and pipe to beat the hell out of the old one, but be gentle... and even... with the new one.

Also, do your self a favor and resaerch the *correct* way to "pack" a bearing. It's too much for me to type, and it's all been said before. The point is, don't just slather grease on the bearing, you have to get it IN THERE. I use axle grease from a tub. Works great.

Good luck!
(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: