Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Any aftermarket seats fit on unmodified frames? 19 Jun 2020 11:40 #828470

• YamaKawa
  • YamaKawa's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I got a 79 KZ400 that's low miles, all original (other than general wear items and flatbars handlebars, and fairly clean, as such I want to preserve as much as I can of it, so I don't want to go hacking the frame apart to modify it in case I ever decide to go back. BUT I have been contemplating a dirt scrambler build. I got the tires, the flatbars, and soon different shocks (mine are blown). My biggest concern is the seat. Most builds require modifying the frame around the seat, but are there any seats that will fit an unmodified frame other than the stock one?
1985 Yamaha XJ700N Maxim (airhead) - SOLD
1979 Kawasaki KZ400H (LTD), bought with 8416 original miles. - 'Tis my baby
1978 Honda GL1000 - SOLD
1995 Suzuki Katana - SOLD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Any aftermarket seats fit on unmodified frames? 19 Jun 2020 14:27 #828483

• M_a_t_t
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 41
Have you considered using a stock seat pan and making a seat? Sorry, no idea on off the shelf products.
83 KZ1100A (shaft)
17 Versys X 300 abs
81 kz650h1
81 kz750e2
90 Honda CBR600F (brother's)

Any aftermarket seats fit on unmodified frames? 19 Jun 2020 14:55 #828485

• Nerdy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 387
I'm curious: why would you start a build like that with an LTD? Especially since, if it's the one in your sig, it's your "baby". :)

OTOH I started a cafe build with a nearly free ($200 w/ title) 440 LTD because hey, cheap and I had no emotional connection to it.

I took the seat cover off and used a coping saw to trim the seat foam into the traditional horizontal-seating-surface-with-bum-stop style. This would allow me to keep the stock seat pan with hinges, etc. and not dick around trying to get an aftermarket seat to fit. The project stalled when I got to the "sew my own seat cover" stage and I found a KZ440B to work on instead. :laugh:

There is a shop called Bike Seat Factory. I haven't bought anything from them and they were previously called Motorcycle Seats Direct. They used to offer brat and tracker as well as cafe style seats, but now they seem to be more cafe-focused. Anyway you might find something there. (This is just info, not an endorsement.)

bikeseatfactory.com
1979 KZ400 Gifted to a couple of nephews
1967 Yamaha YCS1 Bonanza
1980 KZ440B
1981 Yamaha XT250H
1981 KZ440 LTD project bike
1981 GPz550
2013 Yamaha FZ6R

Any aftermarket seats fit on unmodified frames? 24 Jun 2020 20:24 #828926

• YamaKawa
  • User

Nerdy wrote: I'm curious: why would you start a build like that with an LTD? Especially since, if it's the one in your sig, it's your "baby". :)

I havent started the build per se, just contemplating it. I changed the handlebars for ergonomics reasons (flat bars sat just right about where I wanted them whereas the stock bars never felt right no matter how I angled them). I'm not even running the dual sport tires yet, might buy a different set that doesn't require switch the rear rim / gettting different axle spacers.

The seat needs redone anyways and I'm looking for ways to add a little bit of overall height. :laugh:

And as for why: make it more utilitarian and doesnt require me to buy two more bikes (road trip bike and dual sport / scrambler project), just one more (road trip bike).
1978 Honda GL1000 - SOLD

Last edit: by YamaKawa.

Any aftermarket seats fit on unmodified frames? 25 Jun 2020 05:14 #828936

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1041
Kawasaki seats were known to be hard on the hind end. There were any number of custom seats available back in the day. The important part is the seat pan in order to make the hinges fit correctly.

Have you checked on ebay?
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

Any aftermarket seats fit on unmodified frames? 26 Jun 2020 22:08 #829067

• YamaKawa
  • User

hardrockminer wrote: Have you checked on ebay?

It's pretty much all universal cafe style seats that will require hacking the frame and adding the typical seat loop.
1978 Honda GL1000 - SOLD

Any aftermarket seats fit on unmodified frames? 27 Jun 2020 05:00 #829070

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1041
If you can buy an original seat, even one in poor condition you can use the pan to build your own seat.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

• Page: