Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Wheel balance issues 02 Oct 2019 15:03 #811648

• BlackEyeCafe
  • BlackEyeCafe's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
I am a rookie to balancing tires however my 07 gsxr front wheel went flawlessly.

I have a 77 KZ650C rear wheel with a Shinko 705, bead locks and tube obviously. I identified the heavy spot used over an ounce of weight to balance. Then i started testing in 1/4 turn increments which identified another heavy spot about a 1/4 turn from the original heavy spot. I tried to balance based on that heavy spot however it is not working.

Could someone please explain to me how to fix this, without going to the shop.

Thanks
1977 KZ650 C
Jets - Main 115 - Pilot 17.5 - Needles - Position 3 - NGK BR7ES

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Wheel balance issues 02 Oct 2019 15:29 #811649

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1899
For a good starting Point, check first if the tire had a red dot on the side wall. This is the heavy spot of the tire and belongs to the opposit side of the air valve. A white dot is the lightest spot of the tire and belongs to the air valve. If you want to balance/matching the tire on the rim without an extra weight you need some extra time......

Last edit: by Scirocco.

Wheel balance issues 02 Oct 2019 17:24 #811652

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829

Scirocco wrote: For a good starting Point, check first if the tire had a red dot on the side wall. This is the heavy spot of the tire and belongs to the opposit side of the air valve. A white dot is the lightest spot of the tire and belongs to the air valve. If you want to balance/matching the tire on the rim without an extra weight you need some extra time......

You might want to check that red dot advice. I don't have experience with Shinko tires, but the area with the red dot on Pirelli and some other tires should be put next to the valve stem rather than on the opposite side. See "Mounting Tips" on page 8 of link below. Ed

www.pirelli.com/asset/index.php?idelement=74787
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Last edit: by 650ed.

Wheel balance issues 02 Oct 2019 18:20 #811655

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2621
This is what I found .
Steve
Weight Method

First, locate the valve stem on the side of your tire. If it’s lined up with one of the colored dots, the person who mounted your tire took heed of the label and installed it correctly. If the valve stem is located at the heaviest point on the tire, it will be lined up with a yellow dot on the sidewall. When a red dot is lined up with the valve stem you can assume that the valve is at the tire’s lightest point.
After a tire is mounted, its balance is checked on an automated machine that will locate any lighter weight areas. The machine will notify the tire technician to install tire weights at various points around the rims perimeter to balance the tire.

Wheel balance issues 04 Oct 2019 10:10 #811790

• BlackEyeCafe
  • BlackEyeCafe's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
I contacted Shinko months ago and was advised that the whute marking on the tire was the "light" part of the tire and was to be mounted at or near the stem. I did so and believe i balanced that correctly however it seems like there is now a second heavy spot. I may have to take it to a shop just to be certain.
1977 KZ650 C
Jets - Main 115 - Pilot 17.5 - Needles - Position 3 - NGK BR7ES

Wheel balance issues 04 Oct 2019 13:15 #811797

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
  • Thank you received: 511
You have a nice balancing stand, have you checked it for level?
When I do a tire balance I use old weights and masking tape them to where I think I need them, it takes patience and a little time but I usually can get all the weights in the same place, then replace them with new ones.
78 KZ1000 A2A

Last edit: by bluej58.
  • Page: