Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

1977 KZ750 Twin Brake Pads 01 Jul 2019 12:22 #806772

• KawaKrazy
  • KawaKrazy's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationIn getting this bike up to snuff, I confronted and overcome a few issues. Next up, the Brakes.

The rear brakes are great, but I notice the front brakes dont grab as much and Im assuming the pads are worn. When I pull the brake lever it comes back in a lot more than it used to.

I noticed the brakes on my bike are behind the fork. Whats involved in swapping out the brake pads? I have the manual, but want to hear any tidbits you guys may have.

These are the brake pads I bought.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1977 KZ750 Twin Brake Pads 01 Jul 2019 13:14 #806777

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2067
Changing pads is easy. However, the lever coming closer to the bar is not from pad wear, that is an indication at air has entered the system, or that some of the seals are failing, or that one of the pisstons is stuck in the extended position and not returning, or that a flexible line is in really bad shape and preparing to rupture.
Something other that pad wear is afoot and needs immediate attention. Yes, the pads could be worn, too, but they are easy to measure.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

1977 KZ750 Twin Brake Pads 01 Jul 2019 18:26 #806806

• KawaKrazy
  • User

TexasKZ wrote: Changing pads is easy. However, the lever coming closer to the bar is not from pad wear, that is an indication at air has entered the system, or that some of the seals are failing, or that one of the pisstons is stuck in the extended position and not returning, or that a flexible line is in really bad shape and preparing to rupture.
Something other that pad wear is afoot and needs immediate attention. Yes, the pads could be worn, too, but they are easy to measure.

Wow. Thanks for this.

When you say failing "seals," seals where? What seals? Master cylinder?

And by flexible lines I assume you mean brake lines?

Thanks again for responding. It seems this is a big deal and a safety concern that needs to be dealt with right away.

1977 KZ750 Twin Brake Pads 01 Jul 2019 20:17 #806810

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2674
The proper update for a 42 year old motorcycles brake system includes removing the caliper piston(s), master cylinder plunger, clean out all the crud, then install new seals and replace the brake line. Not nearly as difficult as you might think. Money and time well spent.

1977 KZ750 Twin Brake Pads 02 Jul 2019 03:53 #806820

• KawaKrazy
  • User

Nessism wrote: The proper update for a 42 year old motorcycles brake system includes removing the caliper piston(s), master cylinder plunger, clean out all the crud, then install new seals and replace the brake line. Not nearly as difficult as you might think. Money and time well spent.

Spoke with the previous owner last night (he lives not far from me) the brake lines, caliper and MC are all two years old. He even showed me the receipts and labor bills.

1977 KZ750 Twin Brake Pads 02 Jul 2019 06:29 #806828

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
Just curious. Are the new brake lines oem-style rubber or are they braided ss?

1977 KZ750 Twin Brake Pads 02 Jul 2019 06:30 #806829

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
It does sound like there's air in the brake lines. I'm the original owner of my 1977 KZ650-C1. I've never rebuilt the brake calipers at all, but I change the brake fluid every 2 - 3 years, and I have replaced the original pads twice in 61,000+ miles. As far as I am concerned, the KZ brakes are top notch. The pic below shows me squeezing the brake lever very tight, so you can see how far it travels toward the handlebars. If your brake lever travels much further I'm sure there is air in the brake lines. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

1977 KZ750 Twin Brake Pads 02 Jul 2019 11:42 #806857

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2067

KawaKrazy wrote:

Nessism wrote: The proper update for a 42 year old motorcycles brake system includes removing the caliper piston(s), master cylinder plunger, clean out all the crud, then install new seals and replace the brake line. Not nearly as difficult as you might think. Money and time well spent.

Spoke with the previous owner last night (he lives not far from me) the brake lines, caliper and MC are all two years old. He even showed me the receipts and labor bills.

If so, then maybe, just maybe, changing the brake fluid will solve the problem. Brake fluid will absorb moisture from the air, even if the bike is not ridden. Enough moisture and time can cause corrosion and sludge to form inside the system, hence the need to change the fluid regularly.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

1977 KZ750 Twin Brake Pads 03 Jul 2019 11:53 #806921

• KawaKrazy
  • User
Thanks for this photo.

Seems it was just my imagination. One of my neighbor's sons (live abou t30 miles away) is a tech who specializes in vintage bikes. He said my brake lever and pressure are fine. Thankfully!!!

• Page: