Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

1983 KZ750-K1 Twin Rear Wheel Swap 29 Jan 2019 09:44 #797808

• Oldjunk
  • Oldjunk's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey guys, I can find no real information regarding an answer to my question, so I joined your forum because I'm sure this is an easy one for one of you. My question regards the rear 7-spoke mag wheel on a 1983 KZ750-K1 Twin, which is a belt-driven bike with a rear drum brake. The original wheel is 16". If I wanted to swap in and 18", is there a wheel that is a direct bolt on swap? In other words, are the belt-drive and chain-drive 7spoke wheels the same except for the drive sprocket that bolts to them? Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1983 KZ750-K1 Twin Rear Wheel Swap 29 Jan 2019 12:18 #797828

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1953

Oldjunk wrote: Hey guys, I can find no real information regarding an answer to my question, so I joined your forum because I'm sure this is an easy one for one of you. My question regards the rear 7-spoke mag wheel on a 1983 KZ750-K1 Twin, which is a belt-driven bike with a rear drum brake. The original wheel is 16". If I wanted to swap in and 18", is there a wheel that is a direct bolt on swap? In other words, are the belt-drive and chain-drive 7spoke wheels the same except for the drive sprocket that bolts to them? Thank you.

WElcome Junk
Pictures would be nice from a New Member as would some more background

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nebr_Rex, old_kaw

1983 KZ750-K1 Twin Rear Wheel Swap 29 Jan 2019 12:19 #797829

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1620
I don't know if the chain conversion is a direct swap, but I would guess yes. If it is, you may have a hard time locating an 18" Rr wheel w drum brake. The KZ550A & KZ650F are the only models I know of & their Rr wheels don't come up for sale on EB very often. Everything else is either 16" or has a disk brake. Note: the size is cast into the wheels, so verify before purchasing. It's pretty common for EB sellers to list stuff wrong.

Until you get a definitive answer, you can compare stuff at Partzilla. For example the 550A has the same brake panel assy as the 750K. The shock damper is the same as the 550C & 650H but both have a 16" Rr wheel; the 550A & 650F have a different part number for the shock damper, but that doesn't necessarily one of those wheels won't work. Also, you can measure the bolt hole spacing on your belt pulley & compare it to the sprocket for the 550A or 650F.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

1983 KZ750-K1 Twin Rear Wheel Swap 30 Jan 2019 12:55 #797928

• Oldjunk
  • Oldjunk's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
CSR,

Thanks for your input, it was helpful. Wasn't aware of the Partzilla resource. Thanks again.

1983 KZ750-K1 Twin Rear Wheel Swap 30 Jan 2019 13:16 #797929

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1620
Kawasaki.com & cmsnl.com are a couple of others, but Partzilla is the easiest to use & has a cross-reference.
Unfortunately, the Rr wheel part number is missing for the 750K. someone at Kawasaki goofed in the diagrams.

Last edit: by martin_csr.
  • Page: