• Page:

TOPIC:

GPZ500 Front Forks on KZ400 J 18 Nov 2018 13:56 #793910

• scristina
  • scristina's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi there.

My KZ400J forks are extremely pitted, so got my hands on a set from a GPZ500 and they do fit and the original KZ400J wheel also fits. The issue is that I can no longer fit the KZ400J caliper, but the GPZ500 one will fit. So my question is, in terms of braking, will this make a difference? If I get a KZ wheel with 2 Disk brakes set up, will it work on the same forks and will I be able to use the two calipers coming out of the GPZ500?

Thanking you in advance for your help.

Best Regards

SC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

GPZ500 Front Forks on KZ400 J 18 Nov 2018 15:15 #793919

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Be aware there are quite a few different size disks used on the 400J/500/550 line and the various forks have different caliper locations based on how big the disks were, so even if a single-disk set of forks has two caliper mounts, it will require disks that are larger than dual-brake disks would be. You have to make sure the calipers mount in a way that the pads are making full contact. When a mismatched disk and fork set are used, the brake pads might not make full contact on the disk, or the disk might scrape against the pad carrier hardware, eventually cutting through it.

GPZ500 Front Forks on KZ400 J 19 Nov 2018 15:23 #793984

• scristina
  • scristina's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Thank you loudhvx.

The KZ400J wheel and disk mounted on the GPZ500 Forks, using the GPZ500 caliper appears to be ok. Will try to fit everything this weekend to make sure everything works fine.

• Page: