Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Rear Brake Lever Pivot 11 Sep 2018 12:18 #790724

• Shasta
  • Shasta's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I am getting close to getting my KZ750 running. I will then move on to getting it ride able and one of the first things to work on are the brakes.

The rear brake lever was completely seized when I got the bike. I have been working on it since then spraying it with PB blaster most every day. It has broke free but is no where near being loose enough to function.

What are some options for freeing this up or pulling it out and lubing it(?) or replacing it?

Attachment not found

1981 KZ750E

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Rear Brake Lever Pivot 11 Sep 2018 14:58 #790729

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2043
Pull the lever off, then carefully clean the pivot shaft and the inside of the part of the pedal that goes over the shaft, then carefully apply some grease to the shaft and reinstall the pedal.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Rear Brake Lever Pivot 11 Sep 2018 17:54 #790731

• Shasta
  • User
I have removed the pedal and cleaned the inside pat of it. I am not sure where to apply the grease. The problem seems to be that the pivot does not turn inside the plate freely. I am not sure how to lubricate this. It moves finally but not freely enough that the return spring would be able to move it.
1981 KZ750E

Rear Brake Lever Pivot 12 Sep 2018 08:44 #790766

• old_kaw
  • User
  • Thank you received: 269

Shasta wrote: I have removed the pedal and cleaned the inside pat of it. I am not sure where to apply the grease. The problem seems to be that the pivot does not turn inside the plate freely. I am not sure how to lubricate this. It moves finally but not freely enough that the return spring would be able to move it.

Texas Kz explained it perfectly. Mine was seized too when I first got my bike. I bolted the right muffler support with brake pedal back on my frame after I stripped the bike down and just kept soaking it with penatrating oil while working it every chance I got. If you have it apart, just clean up the shaft and the bushing good. Perhaps use some emory paper to clean up the steel shaft, and possible some plumbers fitting brushes inside the bushing? Just try not to damage either surfaces so as not to have a now sloppy fit by taking things from one extreme to another, causing a NEW problem.

You lubricate the parts that move, not the splines on the pedal. You need to take the shaft out, just to clarify things. Do you have a service manual? Perhaps look up the individual parts on partzilla?

Notice the right muffler support is the only thing bolted to the frame.
1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Located in the Saint Louis, Missouri Area.
Attachments:

Last edit: by old_kaw.

Rear Brake Lever Pivot 12 Sep 2018 09:05 #790769

• Shasta
  • User
I have it broke down with the spring removed and the master disconnected and removed. I have been working it with pb blaster pretty much everyday including setting it so that the penetrating oil would work down into the shaft. I have it back on the bike now with the lever in place to be able to move it in an attempt to free it up.

I don't have a press that I can use to push the shaft out of the support bracket. So I am not sure how best to free it up. I am going to try and apply some heat to it to see if I can either get it out or that it will allow the pb blaster to better penetrate.
1981 KZ750E

Rear Brake Lever Pivot 12 Sep 2018 09:48 #790773

• old_kaw
  • User
If it's moving, just keep working it. Clean around the outside shaft and possibly what little bit of the shaft sticking out. It has been years, but I seem to remember having to drive it out of the bracket after I got it moving. I think I bolted it back on and used a block of wood and a hammer to get it moving, then a brass drift to drive it on home. :-),
I vaguely remember that I had it moving pretty good, but it would not come out, so the usual persuasion devices and methods had to be put to use.
1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1

Rear Brake Lever Pivot 14 Sep 2018 10:41 #790863

• Shasta
  • User
Thanks old_kaw! Your post gave me the confidence to go knock the shit out of it with a rubber hammer till it started to move and eventually popped out! So now I need to clean it up and re-install.
1981 KZ750E
The following user(s) said Thank You: old_kaw

Rear Brake Lever Pivot 14 Sep 2018 23:01 #790891

• old_kaw
  • User

Shasta wrote: Thanks old_kaw! Your post gave me the confidence to go knock the shit out of it with a rubber hammer till it started to move and eventually popped out! So now I need to clean it up and re-install.

I am glad to hear that! Out of all of the bikes I have owned in my life, I like my old kaw the best. Good luck on your project.

1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Attachments:

Rear Brake Lever Pivot 12 May 2019 08:26 #803714

• 78z1Joe
  • User
  • My man cave is my garage....
  • Thank you received: 21
I have the same problem. How did you pull the brake pedal off? And what about the coil spring? The spring is wound tight and strong.
1978 KZ 1000
1982 GS 300 training bike
Previous Rides...
75 RD 350
72 CB 500 Four
72 SL 125
71 CT 70
69 3 1/2 HP mini bike

• Page: