Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Need Tire >>> Is different brand tire on rear OK? 16 Jul 2018 08:07 #787045

• martin_csr
  • martin_csr's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1620
I need a new rear tire & currently have Bridgestone Battax BT45s. The Fr tire has plenty of tread. I was planning on getting another BT45 for the Rr but was wondering if there would be any real problem mixing different brands of tires (but of the same type. ie, good wet grip). 130/90-16.
In the past I've read that you're not supposed to mix tires but I don't know much about the subject. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Need Tire >>> Is different brand tire on rear OK? 16 Jul 2018 10:21 #787055

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2659
I wouldn't be afraid of mixing.  It's not like you are going racing with that bike so why not?

Need Tire >>> Is different brand tire on rear OK? 16 Jul 2018 10:45 #787058

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2043
Mixing brands is not uncommon, I've done it myself a time or two. In fact right now my Rex has an Avon out back and a Pirelli up front. As long as the tires are of the same construction (bias ply or radial, et cetera) and the same type of tread, you should be just fine. If you go crazy and put a radial racing slick up front and a bias ply knobby out back, then all bets are off. Well, except for the bets concerning how quickly you will crash................
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Need Tire >>> Is different brand tire on rear OK? 16 Jul 2018 11:38 #787064

• martin_csr
  • martin_csr's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1620
Thanks. What you're both saying is pretty much what I was thinking. I went ahead & ordered a Battlax rear tire, but the next time around the front tire will probably need to be replaced as well, so I'm probably going to try a set of Avon Road Riders.
Just an fyi, the BT45 Rr lasted a little over 6k miles & the Fr still has plenty of tread left. Thanks again. :)

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Need Tire >>> Is different brand tire on rear OK? 29 Jul 2018 06:37 #787841

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2043
Lucky you. It has been a while since I have gotten to wear out a rear tire. The last one on the ZRX got a large puncture, too large for the plug to seal properly, at about 1,000 miles. The tire before that got FOUR nails at the same time, at about 4,000 miles. 
With that last one, I did not realize there was more than one puncture at first. I plugged the first hole i found and rode for a bit, then it went flat again, pushing the first plug inside. I replugged the first hole and found another nail hole to plug. Still didn't see the other two. Didn't even bother to look for them as I could barely imagine two at a time. The second repair used up the end of my CO2 cartridges. As the tire pressure was very low, I rode very gently toward the nearest gas station I knew of. There I found the rest of the nails. Luckily I had enough plugs and the station had an air compressor. That last 50 or 60 miles home was a really nervous ride. I stopped at every station I passed that had an air hose. 
At this point, I would do a happy dance if I got 6,000 miles out of a rear tire! 
I also now also carry an onboard air pump
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

• Page: