Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Replacement tires (front/rear) 2005 KZ1000P (P24) 09 Jun 2018 22:15 #784881

• keconomos@sbcglobal.net
  • keconomos@sbcglobal.net's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Posted this a couple of days ago- no response yet.

Can I get some suggestions about replacing my run-flat tires on a 2005 KZ1000P- with something that has been sucesfully road tested and proved to be good riding?

Front tires MN90-18 aka 110/90-18 should have a load rating of at least 61 (originals were load rated 65 or 68 and were also run-flat.)

Rear Tires MR90-18 (originally load rated at 71)

Any help on this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by keconomos@sbcglobal.net.

Replacement tires (front/rear) 2005 KZ1000P (P24) 19 Jul 2018 09:29 #787218

• ridedrms@pacbell.net
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I'm new to this forum and looking for the same info.  I've got an '82 which I'm re-commissioning, pretty much the same bike.  Here's what I can tell you.  The tires that are on it are Metzeler Lasertecs, which are still available.  I ran these same tires on a  '76 KZ900 I had in the '70-80s.  They wore well, stuck well, turned in well and didn't "stand up" on trail braking.  Are they still the best choice?  Don't know, hopefully others on this forum can shed more light on this.

Last edit: by ridedrms@pacbell.net.

Replacement tires (front/rear) 2005 KZ1000P (P24) 19 Jul 2018 09:46 #787219

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2675
A friend bought a set of Lasertech's a year or two back and they checked (cracked) all over.  He keeps riding them regardless but I believe there are much better choices available.  Avon Roadriders are excellent, although they have had some reputation for cracking in the past as well.  Shinko 712's and 230's are the value leader if the bike isn't going to be ridden much.  If you put a lot of miles on your bike though the Avon's will out live them by a fair bit.  I'm using Conti Go's on my 750 and like them fine.  They are a good value oriented general purpose tire.  And lastly, Pirelli Sport Demon's are the sport tire of choice if grip, not longevity, is your number one focus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BCScott

Replacement tires (front/rear) 2005 KZ1000P (P24) 19 Jul 2018 09:59 #787221

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
I'm currently riding on Bridgestone Battlax BT45 tires. 100/90-19 Fr & 130/90-16 Rr.
They currently have over 6k miles & the rear will need replacing within the next 1k miles or less.
There is no cracking or anything.  I just now looked at them.
Most of my riding is straight stretches of highway, not many curvy roads around here. I've never had a problem with grip,
and although I try to avoid riding in the raid, I have had to do it a number of times, including one long harrowing ride during a torrential downpour in the dark.

Last edit: by martin_csr.
  • Page: