Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Head Rake 2 05 Jul 2006 09:41 #59485

• got12narow
  • got12narow's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Didn't want to hijack wiredgeorge's thread. Are there any current or previous KZ750 owners out there that may have a raked steering head or have the dimensions of one modeled up that I could base mine off of? I don't have any idea how much I want to go, but the general consensus seems to be no more than a degree or so. I've got a real good machine shop friend that could do the work, but I want to be sure I provide them with good information to start with. :)

Thank you all in advance,

Post edited by: got12narow, at: 2006/07/11 14:08

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Head Rake 2 05 Jul 2006 12:50 #59522

• solomrus
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
is this for a race bike, or for looks on a street bike?

if it's for a race bike, the big kz's go for an additional 4-7 degrees or so. stability at speed is the name of the game, and handling goes downhill.

for the street, a degree or two won't be all that much for looks, and the handling will be acceptable.

if you are just trying to lower the bike, consider dropping the fork tubes in the triples a little, and dropping the rear about the same amount to keep the geometry close to stock.

so, let us know what you are looking for, and we can chime in with recommendations.

--r
198o kz1ooo Bravo Four

Head Rake 2 05 Jul 2006 12:56 #59523

• got12narow
  • User
Its just a street bike, for looks only. Don't plan on much anytime soon, but I'm thinking this winter I might tear into it. I'll have to learn as I go, but I'm going to strip it to the frame, powdercoat, maybe stretch a bit, rake?, etc. Just kind of throwing ideas around. Nothing is set in stone. Its my first street bike, and I got it cheap enough I can sink a little cash in it, and I would like to tear it down anyway as a learning experience.

Thanks, :)

Head Rake 2 06 Jul 2006 14:50 #59718

• KZ
  • User
I raked my 1000 out to about 30 degrees (I think it started out at 26 from the factory) It looks much better, tracks nicely and still handles ok in the twisties.

Attachments:

Head Rake 2 10 Jul 2006 20:33 #60954

• Indy636
  • User
Adam, I found a post on the Dragbike.com forum about raking frames several ways. the best way to rake any frame is to cut your steering neck at the angle/degree you want it.you will need to remove the races first.then weld a steering neck from a good used titled frame on your frame, add aditional bracing/gussets to the sides. Or the other way around, weld your neck on a good used frame. I have done it and it works great. If you rake it the old school way and cut and shorten your top tube, the upper tree will hit your tank and the bike may feel cramped when you tilt the steering neck back. Do some research first and decide what will work best for you. Go to the Dragbike.com forums and do a search on "frame rake" theres alot of info on that forum. hope this helps, John.

Head Rake 2 11 Jul 2006 11:06 #61122

• outlawz1
  • User
You can also buy a neck from places like pmfr or McIntosh in ohio. Don't forget to weld in the steering stop pin .
Attachments:

Head Rake 2 11 Jul 2006 11:12 #61125

• got12narow
  • User
Very nice. As always a wealth of good information. Thanks to you all. I've been doing a lot of thinking, and I don't think I'm going to rake this bike. I still plan on stripping it to the frame and powdercoating and painting everything, but I'll leave the major mods for my next bike. This twin is just a bit small for me. Hopefully this winter I can catch up with a 900-1100.

Thanks for all the help,

Adam,

Head Rake 2 11 Jul 2006 15:42 #61190

• timber
  • User
a new neck!! where? pmfr? web address please!!

Head Rake 2 11 Jul 2006 16:47 #61213

• kawtoy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

• Page: