Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Funny noise- wheel bearings 16 Jun 2006 17:17 #55012

• rickj
  • rickj's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Not funny HAHA- funny peculiar! After a 30 mile ride I put it on the center stand and turned the front wheel- there was sort of a grinding rubbing- don't know if it's just the pads on the disc- at low speed it sounded like a wheel-turn rhythm kind of thing. Riding there was also an intermittant squeak in there too. The wheel has no play and there was no heat arond the axle...

Also, noise number two, a sort of cam chain noise at around 3000-4000RPM- but I can't isolate it. When I hug the gas tank with my knee it goes away- I thought loose gas tank- but when I put my hand oin the tank it doesn't go away- so I figure my leg sort of blocks the noise? It is almost like something is rattling. I held the Kick start lever- but no good- though the speed of the noise was similar to the speed of vibration in the kick starter...(yeah- throttle with right hand- reach OVER tank grab kickstart lever with left hand- and what the hell- wave to oncoming bikers with....ummmmm.

Any ideas (about the noises)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Funny noise- wheel bearings 16 Jun 2006 19:23 #55034

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
Have you adjusted the cam chain? I know the 76-80 750 twins have a manual adjuster, but I'm not sure about the 82 and 83 models.
KD9JUR

Funny noise- wheel bearings 16 Jun 2006 19:34 #55042

• wireman
  • Visitor
try pulling your front brake calipers off,leave them hooked to brake lines.spin your wheel to see if it still squeeks;) a little cam chain noise is a nuisance,a noisy wheelbearing or a brake is a major safety issue in my book anyway.;)

Funny noise- wheel bearings 17 Jun 2006 10:25 #55151

• rickj
  • User
wireman wrote:

try pulling your front brake calipers off,leave them hooked to brake lines.spin your wheel to see if it still squeeks;) a little cam chain noise is a nuisance,a noisy wheelbearing or a brake is a major safety issue in my book anyway.;)

Steell- I did adjust the cam chain a while back- worth checking again- there is a manual adjust on my twin 83

Wireman- good idea- thanks- would worn bearings get warm?? my wheel wasn't- I still have pad by the way- about 1/8 to 3/16

Is the fact that the wheel has NO play a good sign?

Post edited by: rickj, at: 2006/06/17 13:27

Post edited by: rickj, at: 2006/06/17 13:53

Funny noise- wheel bearings 17 Jun 2006 14:57 #55171

• rickj
  • User
Well- noise #1 is not a worry- thanks wireman- I removed the caliper and no noise there. I'll go for a little ride now and see what's up now!

• Page: