Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Brake Caliper Piston Construction 13 Jun 2006 16:54 #54308

• tellietubbie
  • tellietubbie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
When I look at my caliper piston,it has a circular black [plastic?] [insert?] occupying about 80% of the piston end surface area.
When I look at the pretty pictures on wemoto of brand new ones, they appear hollow and have no such plastic][insert. :blink:
Does anyone know the detailed construction of these things? All comments gratefully received.

Post edited by: tellietubbie, at: 2006/06/13 21:17

Post edited by: tellietubbie, at: 2006/06/13 21:48
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Brake Caliper Piston Construction 14 Jun 2006 00:27 #54403

• fixer5000
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
tellietubbie wrote:

When I look at my caliper piston,it has a circular black [plastic?] [insert?] occupying about 80% of the piston end surface area.
When I look at the pretty pictures on wemoto of brand new ones, they appear hollow and have no such plastic][insert. :blink:
Does anyone know the detailed construction of these things? All comments gratefully received.

Post edited by: tellietubbie, at: 2006/06/13 21:17<br><br>Post edited by: tellietubbie, at: 2006/06/13 21:48

that black plastic looking thing is an insulator to keep heat away from your calipers. i think kawi went to that type when they started using sintered metal pads...steve
1978 kz650b pretty much stock
\\\\\\\" get there fast but arrive alive \\\\\\\"
massachusetts

Brake Caliper Piston Construction 14 Jun 2006 09:38 #54466

• Cardin
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I had the hollow pistons in my caliper when I changed them out (pitting) for one of the insulated ones. As Fixer5000 said, it's an insulated pad they went over on when they started using scintered metal pads.. the insulator keeps the brake fluid from boiling.

Works fine as a replacement, but if you have that metal shim between your pad and your piston, you can go ahead and toss it.

Brake Caliper Piston Construction 14 Jun 2006 14:59 #54517

• tellietubbie
  • tellietubbie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
Thanks a lot guys,I'm having some made out of stainless steel and I wondered what the black disk was![and how I'm gonna create it]!!B)
No metal shim though,nothing on diagram either.Never occoured to me that they'd get that hot:woohoo:

Post edited by: tellietubbie, at: 2006/06/14 18:01

• Page: