Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Help removing brake pedal 11 Jun 2006 06:42 #53628

• Gman
  • Gman's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
The pivot of the RR brake pedal on my '78 KZ1000 is rusty and wants to hang up at times. I want to remove the pedal so I can properly clean and lube it. What's the best way to remove the pedal. The return spring is giving me fits, I can't get it unhooked. Any suggestions are appreciated.
1978 KZ1000
1965 Harly Electra Glide
2002 Gold Wing
1974 Z1 900 project

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Help removing brake pedal 11 Jun 2006 09:21 #53661

• wireman
  • Visitor
i broke my outer ear on one of those brake pedals when the spring slammed the meat tenderizer part into the side of my head years ago,be carefull!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:S :blink: see if you can get a screwdriver between the frame and spring to release it.you might also try just removing the nut and washer where brake pedal mounts and spraying some wd40 or something like that inside the pivot till it works loose and put the nut and washer back on,much easier and safer!;)

Post edited by: wireman, at: 2006/06/11 12:38

Help removing brake pedal 11 Jun 2006 09:41 #53667

• neilage66
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
I recently installed a NOS center stand spring on my GPz. It is a stout mutha! The only way I could get it on by myself was to use a good old fashioned brake spring tool. These are made for taking brake springs on and off drum brake assemblies. It took me a couple tries, but I did get the spring mounted...whew!
Bottom line, if you have one of these tools you might give it a try or they are low-priced if you purchase one. What the heck, borrow one for free! :P

• Page: