Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

KZ-750-E brakes 19 May 2006 13:09 #48526

• DanAir
  • DanAir's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I'm dusting off the ole bike to put it back on the road.
Found the brakes were empty of fluid. Someone said flush them out with denatured alcohol and then refill with DOT -3 & bleed. Does this make sence? THANKS !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ-750-E brakes 19 May 2006 16:49 #48561

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
I accidentally flushed the front brakes with laquer thinner one time (got distracted and grabbed the wrong can). As soon as I realized what I did I flushed them with DOT 3, and never had a problem afterwards.

I don't believe I'll do it again though :)

I have never tried flushing the system with alcohol though, as long as you immediately flush with brake fluid it probably won't hurt.
KD9JUR

KZ-750-E brakes 19 May 2006 20:47 #48619

• wireman
  • Visitor
alcohal is the only thing you should use to clean it out,will not affect rubber seals like petroleum based products.then refill with brake fluid.;)

KZ-750-E brakes 20 May 2006 13:10 #48701

• kzbikeman
  • User
alcohol will absorb water better than about anything. Water is waht you need to purge from your system for a variety of reasons. It has a low boiling point which can lead to air trapped in your system and it can corrode everything turning it into a rusty, muddy mess.

I am rebuilding my front brakes with all new components. The recommendation from the classic racers is to use DOT 4 fluid with its higher boiling point than DOT 3. I wanted to use DOT 5 because it is not caustic on finishes. Anyone have any ideas on that?

KZ-750-E brakes 22 May 2006 09:47 #49112

• Snakebyte
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Yes you have to replace your seals with new ones. You can mix dot 3 with dot 4, but not dot 4 with dot 3. If you want too convert too dot 5 (no need too, unless yu just want bragging rights) Then you need to replace every seal and clean metal with brake cleaner or d_alcohol.
Keep in mind the characteristics of brake fluid:
absorbs moisture
high boiling point
low freezing point
Good lubricater
There is a fith one but I have seem to have lost my brain at the moment. :pinch:
Attachments:

KZ-750-E brakes 18 Jun 2006 07:13 #55256

• DanAir
  • DanAir's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
I just wanted to let you guys know that flushing the brakes with denatured alcohal worked quite well. Used about a pint of alcohol; and same amount of DOT 3 to flush out alcohol and bleed two masters and three slaves. Thanks!...Now working on carbs, new post there.

1981 KZ750E

• Page: