Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Straight info needed 16 May 2006 10:29 #47726

• gas
  • gas's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Although I may go off in tangents with a few question here, I'm basicly starting out with bike SIZE concerns. Part1:Is the kz900 or 1000 really all that much bigger/longer than the 650? I'm 6'2" and my girlfriend is 5'10" which makes for a pretty snug two up experience on a 650, I sometimes find myself pushed toward the tank and I cramp up a bit on long two up rides from the lack of space. I sure have a place in my heart for this old bike, but maybe it's just too damn small.

Part2: What is the best year model of big old Kaws out there? Was it the 900 series? The 1000's? Should I look for a big old shafty? I've heard that the shafts are hard on consumables and very heavy. Wasn't the 900 the strongest, most overbuilt of these lines? What is the famous "J" head and what are its benefits? Would a 750 and up GPZ be a newer/better ride than the older 900/1000's? particularly for a two up ride, power wise etc.? What is a ball park price to pay for a 900/1000/750 and up GPZ in good shape? Surely I can pick something up for about two grand right?

I know that I've asked some questions that may be subjective and answered on a personal opinion level, but that's fine. I think that we can discuss pros/cons of certain models without having a hissy fit. It also looks like writting on the wall to me when 650 parts avaliability is shrinking, while 900/1000 parts are still readily available in most major aftermarket catalogues. I'll keep this 650 but I really need something bigger. My girlfriend enjoys our runs on the bike but we both feel it's borderline too small.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Straight info needed 16 May 2006 10:36 #47727

• btchalice
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
the 900 is only slightly larger than a 650 at 6'1" i feel huge on it my knees are above the tank so im relocating the pegs, i might get shot for saying this here but with my size my xs1100 carrys me and my wife a lot better than the 900. but im still building the 900 for extreme solo play :evil: :woohoo:
Terry Meyer / Wichita KS
76 kz900 w/1000 motor TWZTD
I am not driving too fast, I'm flying too low.

Straight info needed 16 May 2006 10:46 #47731

• wireman
  • Visitor
900s and 1000s were both pretty tough,all though like anything else they did tend to improve in later years.j/gpz head comes stock with bigger valves and ports but you have to adapt the old style cam chain to it.

Straight info needed 16 May 2006 11:40 #47745

• ambergrismooon
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 2
Gas I'm 6'8 1/2" 328 and there is no room for any other on my 650 or 900. There wouldn't be room for another on a open buckboard or telephone pole. That dosen't stop me from riding them. Of course touring on them is a painful thought! My 900 is a LTD which is also a prob. My bro says I look like a freak sitting on lawn furniture. He says my Great Dane looks like a Whippet next to me. But he only says it when he is 20 feet away and thats why he is still alive today. Plus my 90 year old mom would smack me in the back of the head with a iron skillet if I did anything to him! Sure, she would have to be on a step ladder but she would do it. She did break a broom over my back when we were kids and arguing over a sausage. I figure so what if I have to look around my knees when I'm riding the 650. It's still a good place to rest the coffee. Bikes are not made for people over 6 foot....nothing really is! Each year my riding radius shrinks. Just don't let it stop you. Sorry I got off subject ...again. I have never found a bike that fits me 100% and the 900 engine is about as bulletproof as it gets in my opinion. But thats worth about zilch in the crux. Be well

Straight info needed 16 May 2006 12:40 #47757

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
I'm 6'3 1/2" tall and am much more comfortable on the 750 twins, they seem to sit a little taller and have more seat to peg distance. The 650/1000's seem a little cramped to me.
KD9JUR

Straight info needed 16 May 2006 14:30 #47784

• ltdrider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 17
I'm 6' even, and I say the 900 is a solo bike. If your two-up rider is 11 yrs old, or maybe a super-model that weighs 90 lbs, then OK. But there's no room for anything more than a quick trip. And don't even get me started on storage.
I had an XS11, set up for touring.... much better choice for two.
'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

Straight info needed 16 May 2006 19:32 #47874

• Unhinged
  • User
Instead of looking for a new bike as you seem to like the 650, cant you try different bars and a different seat unit... i find it can make any bike feel completely different by changing these.
Though im not as tall [5"11], a set of enduro bars and 2 inches off the seat makes my KZ 650 feel like a beast of a bike compared to the standard feel of a standard bike.

Straight info needed 16 May 2006 21:04 #47911

• agawam
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Whoa ! I feel like a midget 5'8" 145 about the size of the avaeage jap, who made all these bikes, I fit nicely on all of them.At my size in the world of giants its good to be able to brag sometimes

Straight info needed 17 May 2006 01:06 #47941

• gas
  • gas's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
agawam wrote:

Whoa ! I feel like a midget 5'8" 145 about the size of the avaeage jap, who made all these bikes, I fit nicely on all of them.At my size in the world of giants its good to be able to brag sometimes

Ya ag, but you're a giant were it counts right? Just watch that it doesn't get caught in the chain! Or is that ambergrismoon. Good lord what a big mother. OK, no more whining about a small bike. A different seat is actually a potentialy practical solution, Hmmmm. Thanks to everyone for the feed back, it's all clearer now.

Straight info needed 17 May 2006 09:14 #47986

• ambergrismooon
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 2
Naw Gas I consider myself to be mentally a midget and thats where it counts most. You must have some of my Bigfoot Brothers up there near that pickle factory! Does it have a 1-800 phone number? I know I love pickles and they fight off scurvey! Double bonus points!:cheer:

• Page: